This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here.
Flyers hoping for an easier way to get to the resorts of West Maui may be able to fly there as soon as February 2017. In comments to The Maui News, managers and executives for Hawaiian Airlines claimed they were “very close” to launching service to the nearest airport, Kapalua West Maui Airport.
Commercial service to the regional airport was discontinued in 2013 when Island Air stopped flying to West Maui. After efforts to attract another airline to the small airport failed, screening equipment used by the TSA was taken apart and sent to another location.
Under federal law, commercial flights with aircraft carrying more than 19 passengers require TSA screening, including approved equipment. Because Hawaiian plans on operating the 48-seat ATR-42 turboprop aircraft between West Maui and Honolulu, the TSA must be in place before the flights can resume.
Currently, TSA staff are being trained to take over operations once equipment is installed at the West Maui airport. Current estimates suggest security teams could be ready to start by February 20 — later than the carrier’s original target launch date of January 18. However, some executives at the company believe regular flights won’t begin until March.
The West Maui airport will be an important addition for Hawaiian Airlines, due to the number of resorts nearby. The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua, the Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas and the Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa are all within two miles of the airport. Each of the resorts can be booked with Marriott Rewards points or Starwood Preferred Guest points. If you’re short on either of these loyalty currencies, remember you can earn them with the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card or the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express — and you can now transfer points between the two programs.
When service resumes, Hawaiian plans on operating six flights daily from West Maui, including service from Honolulu and Maui – Kahului Airport. The carrier has not announced when tickets will go back on sale. The airline will also christen new service between Kauai Lihue Airport and Kona International Airport in March.
Featured image courtesy of Hawaiian Airlines.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards