Delta Experiencing Systemwide Domestic Ground Stop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 1/30/17 9:18am: Delta has cancelled approximately 110 flights today after canceling 170 flights last night. A flight change waiver is in effect (details below):
Update 1/29/17 11:30pm: All Delta ground stops have now been lifted, but many customers are still experiencing delays and cancellations and some aircraft will be out of position. If you are flying Delta early in the week, make sure to check your flight status before proceeding to the airport.
Update 1/29/17 10:45pm: Ground stops remain in effect only for Delta hubs in Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis & LaGuardia, but lingering delays and cancellations are being reported in many cities.
Update 1/29/17 10:15pm: Ground stops at the Delta hub cities has been extended, with the next FAA update scheduled for 11:30pm ET.
Update 1/29/17 9:30pm: The nationwide ground stop has been officially lifted per the FAA, but ground stops remain in effect for Delta hub airports in Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis, New York and elsewhere.
Update 1/29/17 8:45pm: While the ground stop remains in effect, reports from TPG readers around the country indicate that some Delta flights are beginning to board.
Update 1/29/17 8:30pm: The Delta ground stop remains in effect and the FAA advisory is now scheduled to be updated again at 9:30pm.
Update 1/29/17 8:13pm: Newark Airport tweets that the issue is impacting Virgin America and KLM as well:
Last Sunday, United had a systemwide ground stop due to IT issues. It would appear this weekend is Delta’s turn…
Passengers are describing their experiences being stuck on the ground via social media:
TPG contributor JT Genter is currently in Tampa, where all (three) Delta flights are listed as delayed:
Delta has confirmed the downtime as well:
The FAA expects to have an update at 8:30pm ET. We will update this post as we get new information. In the meantime, if you’re experiencing a Delta delay, please let us know in the comments below.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.