This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Even though the Seattle Seahawks are in Alaska Airlines’ hometown, you might be surprised to learn that Delta is the official airline sponsor of the NFL team. And, as part of Delta’s constant battle against Alaska, Delta seems to love to rub in this fact. Among many sweet offers the carrier has made to Seattle residents, the latest is a tie-in with the Seahawks. Washington residents can join a program called 12status to earn SkyMiles based on the Seahawks’ on-field performance.
Here are the perks and bonuses of this offer:
- 1 mile for each passing yard at Seahawks home games
- 500 miles for every 12,000 people who sign up for 12status
- 1,200 miles for new SkyMiles members
- Priority boarding on flights out of SEA during football season beginning September 8
- Free merchandise in the terminals during away game travel periods
- All members are eligible for surprise seat upgrades to the Delta Sky360 Club at CenturyLink Field
Now that we are headed into the NFL playoffs, Delta’s letting us know just how popular this promotion was and how the Seahawks’ on-field performance has added up for 12status members. According to an infographic from the airline, Seattle threw for 2,158 passing yards during the regular season and “nearly 30,000” 12status members have registered for a total of 55 million miles. When you check the 12status website, you’ll see the exact numbers: 27,445 members and 55,159,275 SkyMiles.
If you were a new SkyMiles member joining back at the launch of the promotion, you would’ve earned 4,358 SkyMiles so far (1,000 for 24,000+ members; 1,200 for being a new SkyMiles member; 2,158 for passing yards). Based on TPG’s latest valuation of Delta SkyMiles, these 4,358 SkyMiles are worth about $52. So, this hasn’t been an incredibly lucrative offer in terms of what each member has earned, but when you consider the 55,159,275 million SkyMiles given out in total, it’s about $662,000 in value.
And there’s more to come; Delta is extending the program through the playoffs. That means 12status members will continue to earn 1 mile per passing yard and 500 miles for every 12,000 fans that join the program. In addition, members will continue to receive priority boarding during the playoffs for all flights out of Seattle (SEA). If you’re a Washington resident and haven’t signed up yet, it’s not too late. Head to 12status.com to register and start earning SkyMiles.
Featured image courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.