This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the return of a promotion that’ll pop up from time to time, Citi is offering a 25% bonus for transferring Citi ThankYou points to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles. The promotion runs now through March 2, but if you’re looking to redeem Flying Club miles for peak travel times, you’ll want to jump on this promo within the next week.
Virgin Atlantic is in the midst of a program devaluation announced last October. As part of the change, you can no longer redeem Virgin Atlantic miles for Virgin America flights, leaving Delta as the only partner available for US domestic flights. This change was the major catalyst that led TPG to reduce our valuation of Flying Club miles from 1.5 cents per mile to 1.3 cents each.
For redeeming miles on Virgin Atlantic’s own flights, there’s 10 more days until the award chart goes through a mixed bag of changes. With the addition of off-peak awards, Flying Club miles will become more valuable than before for certain redemptions. However, other award prices are generally going up.
If you’re looking for a once-in-a-lifetime redemption, one of the absolute best uses of Virgin Atlantic miles is redeeming 1,200,000 miles for a seven night stay on Richard Branson’s Necker Island. With this 25% transfer bonus, you’ll only need to transfer 960,000 Citi ThankYou points to have enough for this luxurious redemption.
No matter what you plan to do with your Flying Club miles, there’s no lack of transfer partners. Virgin Atlantic is a 1:1 partner with all four major transferable currencies: American Express Membership Rewards (value: 1.9 cents), Chase Ultimate Rewards (2.1 cents), Citi ThankYou points (1.6 cents) and Starwood Preferred Guest (2.7 cents). Based on current TPG valuations, you can see that Citi ThankYou points are already the best source. With this transfer bonus, ThankYou points are the clear winner.
That said, if you want to snag some award bookings using the current award chart, you’ll want to start transferring Citi ThankYou points soon. Our testing shows that points take about 2 days to transfer to Virgin Atlantic, and the last day to book awards using the current award chart is January 15.
This transfer bonus isn’t a great deal. But if you’re looking to top off your Flying Club account for some last-minute redemptions before the award chart changes, this is a great opportunity to do so.
H/T: One Mile At A Time
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.