American Airlines Wins Award, Gives Two Tickets to All Employees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines was just named the Airline of the Year by Air Transport World. And to celebrate, the Texas-based carrier is giving its more than 120,000 employees something to get especially excited about — two free plane tickets.
According to the Star-Telegram, American Chairman and CEO Doug Parker sent a letter to employees announcing the tickets. “That’s thanks to the work all of you do,” Parker wrote in a letter. “It is a noble calling to play a role in transporting the people who entrust their travel needs to us, and it is gratifying to be recognized when we do that well.” To celebrate, Parker announced that the company was giving each of its employees two tickets to any of American’s global destinations — and they’re upgradable to first class, depending on availability.
Here’s how ATW described why American took home the award for the world’s top airline for 2017:
American Airlines was selected by ATW’s editorial board in recognition of the phenomenal achievements by American’s leadership and employees this past year. The integration of American and US Airways was practically flawless despite it being the largest, most complex airline merger in history. And throughout the integration process, American has maintained a close eye on delivering profitability and shareholder return while also investing more than $3 billion in new customer products and services that include greater onboard connectivity, new entertainment and dining choices, upgraded lounges and new city pair services. American is also spending billions more to upgrade its fleet with hundreds of new aircraft.
Etihad Airways won the award in 2016, Southwest won it in 2015 and Delta won in 2014. American adds this award to its two previous titles — in 1988 and 1981. Overall, this is a nice honor for American, and what the carrier is doing for its employees is pretty admirable.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.