This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Truth be told, one doesn’t really need much enticement to plan a trip to the US Virgin Islands. With its year-round perfect temperatures, iconic white sand beaches, passport-less travel policy for U.S. citizens and rum cocktails that go down like glasses of water (consider yourself warned), it’s a popular tourist destination year-round.
Now, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of St. Croix, St. John and St. Thomas becoming American territories, the islands are offering one more reason to book a trip in 2017 — $300 to spend once you get there.
As part of the USVI Centennial Commemoration, people who book a three-day trip through USVI.com using the promotional code “CP1” will receive $300 in spending credits to use during your travels. There is, of course, a catch: the idea here is to get visitors to experience more than the beach chairs at your hotel. The credits must be used to actually explore the island, which could mean visiting an art museum, taking a food tour, spending the afternoon in a botanical garden, booking an eco-adventure or exploring the area via kayak.
Unfortunately you can’t just use this $300 anywhere on the island. Instead, there will be designated places willing to accept the spending credits in lieu of cash. You’ll also need to stay at one of the participating hotels, though that should be less of a burden since there are a few dozen on the list. As an added bonus, travelers visiting in March will receive a commemorative “centennial” souvenir.
A 3-night minimum stay is required and you’ll also need to book your trip by October 1, 2017 for travel between January 2 and December 31, 2017, which leaves most of the year wide open. Sounds like the perfect way to decompress after a stressful holiday season… or before next year’s is upon us.
Featured image courtesy of United States Virgin Islands via Facebook.
The Points Guy Assessment:
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great pick for the beginner and the frequent traveler. The CSP has superb travel benefits, double points on certain purchases, and a 50,000 point sign up bonus. The $95 annual fee is waived the first year so this puts it as one of the less expensive cards, while still allowing you to earn one of the most valuable point currencies.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards