BLADE Unveils Retrofitted CRJ-200 for Private Flights to Miami
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
BLADE is a company that continues to push the limits of what we think of as modern air transportation, a byproduct of the new, on-demand economy that’s often referred to as being like Uber for helicopters. The brand is known for its helicopter service from Manhattan to New York City’s airports, which lets you essentially “crowdsource” a flight with other passengers to help bring down the cost.
Yesterday, BLADE unveiled a new twist on a recently released product with the reintroduction of its BLADEone service, which offers travelers private jet service from New York City to Miami. Last year, the brand flew a Gulfstream IV — which TPG wrote about and throughly enjoyed — but has upped its game since then with two completely retrofitted Bombardier CRJ-200s on the route.
The CRJ-200 is normally used as a regional commercial passenger jet and can hold up to 60 people — in this case, it’s been converted into a luxury jet for 16.
The CRJ-200 is much roomier than a normal chartered jet — all seats are full seats with no benches, which you’ll sometimes find in some private setups. There’s enough room for privacy but the size of the plane also allows for “common space” where passengers can interact with each other. Design company The Line has beautifully decorated the interior and just like its showroom in SoHo, Manhattan, almost everything in the plane is for purchase, all the way down to the pillows and blankets. Just pull up the shopping list on your personal iPad Pro and order away.
Gourmet food is provided by hand-picked executive chefs, and yesterday’s inaugural flight was catered by Lure Fishbar. A bento box full of Japanese cuisine was served for dinner, complete with a side of caviar.
Part of BLADE’s appeal is its exclusivity, and the brand plays on that through its partnership with Koio sneakers. Travelers yesterday actually got to pick out impossible-to-find custom shoes from the Italian company as part of the cost of their ticket. BLADE plans on doing similar partnerships throughout the season as well.
Henri Bendel designed the Dopp kits full of personal care products from boutique brands. Each seat also comes with a set of premium headphones from Master and Dynamic to use with your iPad Pro.
Gone are the days where people get dressed up to fly, but one of BLADE’s goals is to bring back the golden age of travel. Jake Wildstein, who works on business development, said that commercial air travel has become “a cattle herding-like process,” but BLADE wants people to be excited about their journey, not just the destination — you can tell they mean it by the level of care and thought that’s been put into every detail of these flights.
Tickets for each seat cost $1,795 each way, but what seriously ups the value is that if you purchase a set of two round-trip tickets on BLADEone, you’ll also get a room for the weekend at the spectacular Faena Hotel Miami Beach. Note that the cost of your helicopter ride from Manhattan to Westchester is not included in the price, but can be booked for an additional $250 in each direction.
Flights depart from Westchester County Airport (HPN) on Friday at 9:00am and land at Miami’s Opa-Locka Executive Airport (OPF). Return flights depart Sunday at 4:00pm, with each trip lasting about two hours and 45 minutes. Flights will continue until April 16 when the seasonal service ends.
If you’re interested in trying out the BLADEone experience for yourself, click here and enter referral code THEPOINTSGUY (case sensitive). You’ll earn a $100 discount on your first flight, and TPG will receive $50 after you travel.
Have you ever flown with BLADE? Share your experience with us, below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees