This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dogs are man’s best friend — and have been trained to do a wide variety of things, from being hunting companions to acting as seeing-eyes for the blind. But this particular pooch is known for something quite unique. Piper, an 8-year-old Border Collie, works at the Traverse City, Michigan airport (TVC) protecting aircraft from birds and other wildlife. Birds have been known to occasionally cause extensive damage to planes, like when US Airways flight 1549 (piloted by Captain Sully) was forced to land in the Hudson River due to a collision with a flock of geese.
In this week’s edition of crazy aviation videos, watch as Piper conducts patrols of the runaways and taxiways throughout the day to make sure that no animals interfere with airline operations. Apparently Piper is more effective than the USDA Wildlife Service attempt’s to scare birds with firing blank shotgun rounds into the air.
“The airport is his home,” said Brian Edwards, who is Piper’s partner and trainer.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.