Watch This Soviet-Era Behemoth Take Off
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In this installment of crazy aviation videos, we bring you a sight to behold: a takeoff of the world’s largest aircraft. The Antonov An-225 is a Soviet-era strategic airlift cargo aircraft built in 1988. Designed to transport the USSR’s Energia rocket booster, it currently holds the world record for delivering the heaviest payload ever — a staggering 559,580 lbs. This aircraft is extremely rare, as there was only one example ever built, making this takeoff even more incredible.
The clip starts with see the six-engine behemoth beginning its takeoff roll at an incredibly sluggish pace. As the An-225 lumbers down the runway, it finally gains enough speed to gradually lift its front landing gear. The 28 wheels that make up the aircraft’s rear landing gear remain on the runway for almost another 10 seconds until the aircraft actually leaves the ground. As it sails into the night sky it’s hard to avoid thinking “how does that thing even fly anyways?”
Have you ever seen the Antonov An-225 in person?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.