This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At the Farnborough Air Show this summer, I had a chance to check out two pretty slick Qatar Airways private jets: a Gulfstream G650 and an Airbus A319, with just 40 seats in an all-business 2-2 configuration. Generally, you’ll need to have a very wealthy friend (or have some deep pockets yourself) to get a chance to fly this A319, but for a limited time Qatar is operating that aircraft on scheduled service between Doha and Dubai. It’s even possible to redeem miles to get on board!
Interestingly, this news comes the same week Emirates announced that it’ll fly an A380 between the two cities, but it seems unlikely that Qatar is launching this higher-end service in response to its competitor’s surprising move. The A319 has already begun flying between DOH and DXB, and it’s scheduled to remain on the route through January 21, 2017.
Since Qatar Airways is a member of the Oneworld alliance, you can redeem partner miles for a one-way or round-trip flight. You’ll need 40,000 miles each way if you’re redeeming from AA’s AAdvantage program, but British Airways members can book the flight for just 18,000 Avios (+$36 in taxes and fees).
That’s still a significant amount for a ~40-minute flight, but considering you’ll need to pay roughly $750 for a one-way revenue ticket, that’s a heck of a deal. Note that Qatar is marketing the business-class cabin as first class on this flight, so you should have access to the Al Safwa first-class lounge in Doha.
Will you be going out of your way to fly Qatar’s all-business A319?
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards