We’re Heading to Airbus to Pick Up a Brand New Singapore Airlines A350
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Next week, TPG and I will have an opportunity to attend a very exciting aircraft delivery as Singapore Airlines picks up its latest A350 from Airbus’ facility in Toulouse, France. This is the actual A350 that’ll operate the carrier’s inaugural from San Francisco later this month, so it’ll certainly be “factory fresh” for that flight a week or so after the plane first arrives in Singapore.
We’ll be attending the delivery ceremony, at which point we’ll have a chance to tour the aircraft, but we’ll also be onboard the delivery flight to SIN — that’ll be a first for both of us. I’ve been gunning to join a Singapore delivery since just before my final flight on the A340-500, so this trip has been about three years in the making! Needless to say, we’re both very excited.
Delivery flights are super no-frills — expect boxed lunches in business class, plastic-wrapped carpeting and incomplete galleys — it’s a very different experience than you’d have on a typical Singapore flight. It also isn’t possible to redeem points or pay cash for this type of flight (though we are covering transportation to Toulouse and from Singapore, plus all other travel expenses), so we won’t be sharing a typical review — you won’t have to wait long, though, since we will be onboard the SFO-SIN inaugural (on a paid fare) a week or so later.
Since it’s a delivery flight, most of the plane will be empty (as I experienced on my Qatar A350 charter last December), giving us a chance to try out economy and Singapore’s new premium economy as well. Stay tuned for Facebook Live videos, Snapchats, Tweets and Instagram posts (from me, too), along with a whole lot of content on the blog.
Have you flown Singapore’s A350?
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.