This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Obama Administration announced Friday that US travelers can now return home from Cuba with an unlimited amount of Cuban cigars and rum. The move, which comes as a continuation of the president’s aim to ease travel restrictions to the country, means visitors can bring home the items as souvenirs for personal use only, not to be sold in stores or anywhere else.
“In all cases, the Cuban-origin goods must be imported for personal use, and normal limits on duty and tax exemptions will apply,” the US Treasury Department said in a press release. Before this change, visitors to Cuba could only bring back up to $100 worth of cigars and alcohol.
Flights to Cuba have already begun on many of the major airlines — with Southwest announcing new routes yesterday from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Tampa (TPA) to Havana (HAV) and Varadero (VRA) — or you can take a cruise from Miami for a unique way of exploring this incredible island nation. Hopefully, we’ll only be seeing more flights and less restrictions in the months and years to come.
Featured Image courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: The Hill
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards