La Compagnie Suspends NYC to London Flights, Blames Brexit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bad news for those who bought the La Compagnie unlimited flight pass: La Compagnie announced yesterday that it’s suspending its New York to London flights (caution: PDF link). Effective Sunday, September 25, La Compagnie will stop flying between NYC and London. In place of this route, La Compagnie will add a second daily flight between NYC and Paris “as soon as October 2016.”
If you have a flight booked on La Compagnie on or after September 25, the company is offering either a full refund or re-booking onto the NYC-Paris flight. Considering the last-minute nature of the route cancellation, this is going to leave passengers with the choice of booking close-in fares on the route they wanted, transiting between London and Paris or re-planning their trip to a new city.
The airline cites the “new economic climate and aviation landscape in Europe following the recent United Kingdom European Union membership referendum” as the reason for the suspension. In short: Brexit. However, the United Kingdom hasn’t taken any solid steps since the referendum in June 2016 to formalize leaving the European Union. Even once it does, it’ll still take two years to complete the process.
In the suspension notice, the airline bragged about its “above 77 percent” load factor between NYC-London. This is within range of what La Compagnie’s competitors are seeing system-wide (2015: American Airlines-83.3%, British Airways-81.5% and Virgin Atlantic-76.8%). Also, this isn’t much worse than what the airline is getting on its NYC-Paris route “where loads are already more than 80 percent.”
Perhaps La Compagnie needed to achieve an even-higher load factor to make up for its discount business-class prices. Considering the price, TPG found La Compagnie to be quite an excellent value for flying business class across the Atlantic.
Although we are bummed to see the loss of a discount business-class option to London, there are some potential benefits to travelers from this change. La Compagnie currently has one aircraft each on two routes: NYC-London and NYC-Paris. Starting in October, La Compagnie will have two aircraft on the same NYC-Paris route. This will come in handy when one aircraft has a mechanical issue. Rather than leaving passengers stranded, it can fill up the other flight on this route with stranded passengers who don’t have a flexible schedule.
Featured image courtesy of La Compagnie.
Are you affected by this La Compagnie cancellation?
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees