This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bad news for those who bought the La Compagnie unlimited flight pass: La Compagnie announced yesterday that it’s suspending its New York to London flights (caution: PDF link). Effective Sunday, September 25, La Compagnie will stop flying between NYC and London. In place of this route, La Compagnie will add a second daily flight between NYC and Paris “as soon as October 2016.”
If you have a flight booked on La Compagnie on or after September 25, the company is offering either a full refund or re-booking onto the NYC-Paris flight. Considering the last-minute nature of the route cancellation, this is going to leave passengers with the choice of booking close-in fares on the route they wanted, transiting between London and Paris or re-planning their trip to a new city.
The airline cites the “new economic climate and aviation landscape in Europe following the recent United Kingdom European Union membership referendum” as the reason for the suspension. In short: Brexit. However, the United Kingdom hasn’t taken any solid steps since the referendum in June 2016 to formalize leaving the European Union. Even once it does, it’ll still take two years to complete the process.
In the suspension notice, the airline bragged about its “above 77 percent” load factor between NYC-London. This is within range of what La Compagnie’s competitors are seeing system-wide (2015: American Airlines-83.3%, British Airways-81.5% and Virgin Atlantic-76.8%). Also, this isn’t much worse than what the airline is getting on its NYC-Paris route “where loads are already more than 80 percent.”
Perhaps La Compagnie needed to achieve an even-higher load factor to make up for its discount business-class prices. Considering the price, TPG found La Compagnie to be quite an excellent value for flying business class across the Atlantic.
Although we are bummed to see the loss of a discount business-class option to London, there are some potential benefits to travelers from this change. La Compagnie currently has one aircraft each on two routes: NYC-London and NYC-Paris. Starting in October, La Compagnie will have two aircraft on the same NYC-Paris route. This will come in handy when one aircraft has a mechanical issue. Rather than leaving passengers stranded, it can fill up the other flight on this route with stranded passengers who don’t have a flexible schedule.
Featured image courtesy of La Compagnie.
Are you affected by this La Compagnie cancellation?
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards