This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
People’s Viennaline is making history by launching the world’s shortest international flight. The flight, from St. Gallen, Switzerland (ACH) to Friedrichshafen, Germany (FDH), covers a distance of 13 miles and lasts just eight minutes in the air (though it’s blocked for 20).
The flight is operated on an Embraer 135 with 50 economy seats and costs ~$45 per ticket on all the days we searched (actually just $12 for the ticket itself plus taxes and fees).
Though the airports are an easy drive from one another — about an hour apart — the flight routes over Lake Constance, cutting down on transportation time. When you factor in the time you’ll spend at security, boarding, etc., flying is likely not much of a shortcut, but this could be a decent option for onward connections.
If you want to book, the first available tickets for sale are November 2. One caveat: The website is in German, so make sure to turn on translation capabilities in your browser.
If you’re looking to experience the world’s longest flight in addition to the world’s shortest flight, hop on Emirates’ Auckland (AKL) to Dubai (DXB) route, which has a block time of more than 17 hours.
Featured image courtesy of People’s Viennaline.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards