This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amid pressure from competitors like Delta, which became the first US legacy carrier to offer free in-flight entertainment, American Airlines recently announced it’ll start offering complimentary in-flight entertainment later this month on all of its nearly 300 aircraft that are equipped with seat-back entertainment units. On regional jets that offer Wi-Fi, you can also download the American Airlines mobile app to access free entertainment offerings on your own device.
AA customers will be able to surf a wide range of content, and choose from more than 160 movies, 300 television shows, over 700 musical selections and 20 games — or watch live TV — on seat-back screen-equipped aircraft. Translation: you’ll be able to catch up on all your favorite shows, like HBO’s Game of Thrones, from the comfort of your seat.
The airline also will also offer ViaSat Wi-Fi on its 737 MAX fleet starting September 2017 instead of its current and much slower Gogo Wi-Fi. ViaSat is best known for providing at-home Wi-Fi speed that allows travelers to stream movies, videos, TV and music — and lets you perform basic functions like posting on social media and checking emails — at a much faster rate.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, the 50,000 miles are worth $700. In addition, you can earn 10,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) toward elite status after spending $40,000 in a calendar year. As of July 23, 2017 this is the only card that offers Admirals Club lounge access so if you are an AA flyer this card might make sense for you. Aside from lounge access the primary cardholder will receive a Global Entry application fee credit every 5 years, first checked bag free for up to 8 travel companions on domestic itineraries and a 25% discount on eligible in-flight purchases on American Airlines flights.
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- Admirals Club® membership for you and access for guests traveling with you*
- Complimentary Admirals Club® lounge access for authorized users
- Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) after you spend $40,000 in purchases within the year*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to 8 companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.