This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Airlander 10, a.k.a. the world’s largest aircraft, took the aviation world by storm when it first launched. Not only for its massive size, but also because it just so happened to look like a certain human body part from behind — giving it the nickname “The Flying Bum.”
The Airlander’s first test flight went smooth, however, its second made a nose-first crash landing into a field. You can watch the crash landing in the video above (be prepared to be patient — the crash landing is very slow). No one was injured in the crash, and a spokesperson from Hybrid Air Vehicles told the BBC, “The flight went really well and the only issue was when it landed.”
The Airlander 10 is 302 feet long (for perspective, the Boeing 747 is 250 feet long; the 787-8 is 186 feet long; the A380 is 239 feet long) and is completely filled with helium, which leaks at a such a slow rate that it’s capable of remaining in the air for up to five days. The Airlander 10 sustained some damage as a result of the crash, but thankfully nobody was injured.
What do you think of the Airlander 10 (a.k.a. The Flying Bum)? Would you like to someday see this as a commercial option?
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.