This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Etihad Airways will soon be upgrading its second daily flight from New York (JFK) to Abu Dhabi (AUH) from a Boeing 777-300ER to an Airbus A380. This means starting June 1, 2017, you’ll have a better chance of finding availability to book yourself a $32,000 ticket in the over-the-top, super-opulent Etihad Residence on future trips to the UAE — there will be more Etihad Apartments available as well, which you can book with Etihad Guest Miles. Etihad’s A380 planes also feature a very large business-class cabin on the upper deck that’s very comfortable, though not as extravagant.
While the first day of double A380 service is almost a year away, we’re seeing some award availability in both the business-class cabin as well as The Apartment on flights originating in Abu Dhabi (AUH), however flights originating in New York (JFK) are less available to book with Etihad Guest miles. A one-way ticket from AUH to JFK will cost you about 118,000 miles + $225 in cash, while business-class fares will set you back about 89,000 miles + $173 in cash.
Alternatively, you can use AAdvantage miles to book these awards. One-way tickets in The Apartment cost 115,000 AAdvantage miles, while one-way business-class fares cost 70,000. But, to book these flights with AAdvantage miles, you’ll have to call American Airlines’ Australian reservations line at +61 02-9101-1948, as you’re not able to book these awards through AA’s US call center.
If you prefer to purchase your tickets in cash, a round-trip fare in The Apartment between JFK and AUH costs an eye-watering $22,000. Business-class fares are closer to Earth, starting at about $7,000 round-trip. While prices are certainly high, flying on Etihad’s A380 gives you a chance to experience one of the most unique products in the sky today.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.