The 5 Craziest Items People Tried to Sneak By the TSA in June
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every week, the TSA blogs about items (mostly weapons) that agents have confiscated at airports around the country, and the agency posts some of the crazier items on its Instagram page. Check out the 5 items that we at Team TPG think are the most ridiculous items that were confiscated this month. Once again we’re happy to see that the TSA has prevented these items from being smuggled on board aircraft with hundreds of other passengers!
1. Jawbone Tomahawk
One passenger thought that their decorative (but still lethal) jawbone tomahawk could travel in the cabin with them, but TSA guidelines say that all tomahawk weapons must be packed with your checked baggage. This weapon was confiscated at Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC).
2. Cane Swords
These cane swords look like something you might see in a movie, but they really did belong to passengers in Phoenix (PHX) and Baltimore (BWI) who wanted to bring them on board a plane in their carry-on luggage. Remember that concealing knives of any kind can result in fines or even arrest.
This compact tool looks like it could be very useful for many tasks, but if you want to take your hatchet on a trip with you, remember that it has to travel in the cargo hold. This item was confiscated by TSA agents at Dallas Love Field (DAL).
4. Skull-Themed Throwing Knives
Halloween is still a few months away, but one traveler at Chicago’s O’Hare airport (ORD) wanted to keep this spooky knife set close while traveling. Of course, like the prohibited items above, these too must be stowed away in checked baggage or else you can be subject to fines or arrest.
5. Concealed Axe
A traveler in Tampa (TPA) apparently thought that they were being sneaky by attempting to hide an axe beneath the fabric and then lodged it in between the handles. The TSA wasn’t fooled, however, and the axe was confiscated. While this fabric might stop agents from spotting contraband with the naked eye, it’s no match for the x-ray scanners.
What’s the strangest item you’ve seen at a TSA checkpoint?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees