This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – United MileagePlus Explorer Card
Two new credit card developments this morning: Through the end of this month (yes, it’s already June!), Chase is offering 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in the first three months with the United MileagePlus Explorer Visa card. You can earn an additional 5,000 miles after adding an authorized user and making a purchase with that card. This particular offer is open to anyone, but as is now the norm with Chase cards, “This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new Cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months.”
While 50,000 miles may sound like a fantastic deal (and it is), Chase is also offering a 70,000-mile bonus on a targeted basis. To see if you’re eligible for that offer, head to this link and log in with your United account details. I was targeted for the 70k bonus even though I already have the card (unfortunately I won’t be eligible to receive the miles again, despite the offer). Like the public offer, this targeted version also comes along with the standard 5,000-mile bonus if you add an authorized user and make a purchase with that card within the first three months — plus, you also earn a $50 statement credit after your first purchase.
We value United miles at 1.5 cents each, so you’ll be earning miles worth $750 with the public offer, or $1,050 with the targeted offer.
Both offers include the same card benefits, including 2x miles on United purchases, 1x miles on all other purchases, two United Club passes each year, no foreign transaction fees, priority boarding, a free checked bag, improved award availability and more. If you’re interested, be sure to sign up before the June 30 deadline.
Were you targeted for the 70,000-mile offer?
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards