Air New Zealand’s Flying a 787 Between Honolulu and Auckland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – United MileagePlus Explorer Card
The Dreamliner is one of the comfiest ways to get from A to B. It’s always a bonus when a carrier announces that it will begin flying a Dreamliner on a route that isn’t typically serviced by a 787. And now, Air New Zealand is the latest to announce the addition of one of its Dreamliners to an existing route.
The carrier just announced that it will begin operating its popular Honolulu (HNL) to Auckland (AKL) route with a 787-9 Dreamliner. The route was previously operated by a 767-300 aircraft, however, as of this week, the airline is using its Dreamliner. Air New Zealand was the launch carrier of the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner in 2014, and it’s now the first to operate a Dreamliner on regular service out of Honolulu. This is also Air New Zealand’s first Dreamliner on one of its North American routes.
Recently, TPG Special Correspondent John Walton traveled on Air New Zealand’s Dreamliner from Shanghai to Auckland in business class and was impressed with the product. The aircraft features ANZ’s economy Skycouch, leather seats with leg rests in premium economy and lie-flat beds in Business Premier. In addition, the change will give the carrier a 20 percent capacity increase, meaning more travelers can travel on each flight between the two cities.
Round-trip economy fares start at around $1,000 on this route, while business class will run you $4,100 and up. Air New Zealand is a Star Alliance member, so if you’re able to find award seats, you can book award flights using United MileagePlus miles earned with a card like the United MileagePlus Explorer Card, which currently offers a sign-up bonus of 40,000 miles after you spend $2,000 in the first three months. You’ll also get two United Club passes each year for your travel, and you won’t pay foreign transaction fees.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees