Starwood Accepts Anbang’s Bid for Acquisition
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A week ago, most Americans had never heard of an insurance company called Anbang — now the Chinese firm could very well be the next owner of Starwood Hotels.
According to CNBC, Starwood has accepted Anbang’s bid of $78 per share, or a total of $13.2 billion (which is a hair higher than Anbang’s initial bid of $76 per share). The CNBC article states that “Hotel operator Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide will be acquired by Chinese insurer Anbang,” but it’s not quite as simple as that.
Marriott now has five days to respond with a higher bid, in which case a bidding war will likely begin, giving both companies an opportunity to compete for Starwood and its beloved SPG program. According to CNBC’s sources, Marriott does plan to make a counter-bid, so saying that Anbang will acquire Starwood definitively seems a bit premature.
Investors are indeed expecting a bidding war — Starwood’s share price has now climbed above the Anbang offer price to over $80 per share in pre-market trading, and it could jump beyond that throughout the day. Of course, it’s still unclear what this news means for Starwood Preferred Guest and your Starpoints — stay tuned!
Which company do you want to acquire Starwood?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees