Starwood Accepts Anbang’s Bid for Acquisition
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A week ago, most Americans had never heard of an insurance company called Anbang — now the Chinese firm could very well be the next owner of Starwood Hotels.
According to CNBC, Starwood has accepted Anbang’s bid of $78 per share, or a total of $13.2 billion (which is a hair higher than Anbang’s initial bid of $76 per share). The CNBC article states that “Hotel operator Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide will be acquired by Chinese insurer Anbang,” but it’s not quite as simple as that.
Marriott now has five days to respond with a higher bid, in which case a bidding war will likely begin, giving both companies an opportunity to compete for Starwood and its beloved SPG program. According to CNBC’s sources, Marriott does plan to make a counter-bid, so saying that Anbang will acquire Starwood definitively seems a bit premature.
Investors are indeed expecting a bidding war — Starwood’s share price has now climbed above the Anbang offer price to over $80 per share in pre-market trading, and it could jump beyond that throughout the day. Of course, it’s still unclear what this news means for Starwood Preferred Guest and your Starpoints — stay tuned!
Which company do you want to acquire Starwood?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.