AA is Launching Nonstop Service from LAX to Hong Kong
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: American has confirmed that the flight will launch on September 7, with bookings available beginning March 20.
AA is finally joining Oneworld partner Cathay Pacific with a nonstop flight between Los Angeles (LAX) and Hong Kong (HKG) — the flight on this route will be operated by AA’s three-cabin 777-300ER, with 8 seats in first class, 52 seats in business, 30 seats in Main Cabin Extra and 220 seats in a (fairly tight) 3-4-3 economy configuration. American currently offers nonstop service from Dallas (DFW) to Hong Kong, and this new LAX flight may begin on September 7 — an AA spokesperson has confirmed the flight with a September launch, but the specific date is still pending, apparently.
Whether or not anyone will prefer to fly this product is a different story. After the AA devaluation on March 22, you’ll need to redeem the same number of miles for business and first on this new AA flight as you will to fly Cathay Pacific’s far superior service, while economy will require 2,500 more miles each way on Cathay. Regardless, Cathay’s business and first-class products are among the best in the sky, making Cathay the obvious front runner for nonstop award flights to Hong Kong.
The service isn’t bookable yet, but with an anticipated September 7 launch date, it’s possible that AA will open up revenue bookings very soon. However, unless American really improves its service, you’re probably better off sticking with Cathay if you have the choice.
H/T: View from the Wing
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, the 50,000 miles are worth $700. In addition, you can earn 10,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) toward elite status after spending $40,000 in a calendar year. As of July 23, 2017 this is the only card that offers Admirals Club lounge access so if you are an AA flyer this card might make sense for you. Aside from lounge access the primary cardholder will receive a Global Entry application fee credit every 5 years, first checked bag free for up to 8 travel companions on domestic itineraries and a 25% discount on eligible in-flight purchases on American Airlines flights.
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Admirals Club® membership for you and access for guests traveling with you
- Complimentary Admirals Club® lounge access for authorized users
- Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) after you spend $40,000 in purchases within the year
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to 8 companions traveling with you on the same reservation
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 17.24% - 25.24%, based on your creditworthiness. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.