Historic Wyndham Hotels That You Can Book With Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While many hotels affiliated with major loyalty programs can seem cookie-cutter, not all properties were cast from the same mold. TPG Senior Points & Miles Contributor Jason Steele takes a look at some historic properties within the Wyndham brand, all of which can be booked using points.
Some frequent travelers get tired of staying in the same monolithic concrete tower everywhere they go, but at the same time, most would rather stay at a property where they can earn points and spend their rewards.
Continuing my series on historic hotels that are part of major loyalty programs, today I’ll take a look at some properties in the Wyndham brand. As before, I’ll define a hotel as “historic” if it has unique architecture that dates from before the Second World War or if it occupies a historic building that was not originally designed to be a hotel.
Wyndham doesn’t have as many historic hotels as some of the other brands, such as Marriott, but the Wyndham Rewards program has become especially attractive since all awards became a flat 15,000 points per night. You can earn Wyndham Rewards points with the Wyndham Rewards Visa from Barclaycard, which is currently offering a sign-up bonus of up to 30,000 points after 1k spend in the first 90 days. For more information on this offer, read my post, Why the Wyndham Rewards Visa Is Now a High-Value Hotel Card.
1. Wyndham Istanbul Old City, Turkey (1922)
Wyndham Istanbul Old City was built by famous architect Mimar Kemaleddin, one of the representatives of the National Architecture Movement. The hotel combines the spirit of the previous century with contemporary luxury amenities, and it’s within walking distance of major attractions like the Covered Bazaar, Sultanahmet Mosque, Hagia Sophia Museum and Topkapi Palace.
2. The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel, Charleston, South Carolina (1853)
A stunning landmark in Charleston’s Historic District, the Mills House Wyndham Grand is steps from famous historic sites like King Street and the town’s top ghost tours.
As the only historic beachfront hotel on the Texas Gulf Coast, the property is owned by the Cynthia and George Mitchell family as part of Mitchell Historic Properties. It’s named for the Spanish colonial governor Bernardo de Galvez.
4. Dolce Bad Nauheim, Germany (1862)
Located at the foothills of the Taunus Mountains just outside Frankfurt, this four-star hotel combines Art-Nouveau architecture with modern facilities like a signature salon, lap pool, Finnish Sauna and steam room.
Update: This property does not currently accept points for reservations. You can book rooms for 76 euros (about $86) and up per night.
This 140-room hotel, situated just two blocks from the French Quarter, was previously a New Orleans department store. It retains the original Art Deco façade, marble floors and stained glass.
Built to accommodate travelers along the Pacific Coast Highway, this Wyndham Garden property is within walking distance of Ventura State Beach and the Ventura Pier.
What’s your favorite historic Wyndham property?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees