This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is making its in-flight service a bit more comfortable this year with the introduction of new perks for Main Cabin and Premium Cabin passengers alike. While competitor United Airlines has been working to improve its reputation by adding new coffee, free snacks and other customer service advancements both in the air and on the ground, American is now catching up by introducing complimentary snacks and new in-flight entertainment, in addition to new amenity kits for premium passengers. Delta also serves free snacks for all passengers — in fact they never eliminating food from its service.
Most notably, American is introducing complimentary Biscoff cookies and pretzels on select flights for all passengers starting with transcon flights (JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX), with all other domestic flights offering complimentary snacks in the Main Cabin by April. AA is also adding complimentary meal service in May on all flights between Hawaii and Dallas (DFW). While it’s launching on just a handful of flights, it’s at least a start for some of the airline’s busiest routes. Passengers can also expect new entertainment on select flights — AA will offer live television on long-haul international flights in every cabin of its 777-300ER, retrofitted 777-200ER and 787-8 aircraft.
Ultimately, improved service seems to be having a small comeback on domestic carriers — the airlines at least appear to be putting some effort into the customer experience, even as frequent flyer programs face devaluations.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, the 50,000 miles are worth $700. In addition, you can earn 10,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) toward elite status after spending $40,000 in a calendar year. As of July 23, 2017 this is the only card that offers Admirals Club lounge access so if you are an AA flyer this card might make sense for you. Aside from lounge access the primary cardholder will receive a Global Entry application fee credit every 5 years, first checked bag free for up to 8 travel companions on domestic itineraries and a 25% discount on eligible in-flight purchases on American Airlines flights.
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- Admirals Club® membership for you and access for guests traveling with you*
- Complimentary Admirals Club® lounge access for authorized users
- Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) after you spend $40,000 in purchases within the year*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to 8 companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.