AA Targets AAdvantage Members With Free Platinum Status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
What’s better than earning status? Getting it for free. It appears that American Airlines is giving out complimentary Platinum status to select AAdvantage members for a few months in 2016. A TPG reader recently shared an email he received, which indicates he’ll have all the benefits of Platinum status through May 31, 2016, and he’ll even receive 20 500-mile upgrades on top of those perks. It also appears that if you earn 10,000 EQMs by May 31, 2016, you’ll be able to keep status through 2017.
If you do get the targeted offer, be sure to sign up — you should receive a promo code as well as a deadline for when you need to register. If you weren’t targeted by this special offer, you can still get AA status pretty easily right now. The airline is offering a challenge to help you earn Gold and Platinum status quickly — this is available to all flyers, even if you don’t presently maintain status with another airline.
Some credit cards, like the Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard, also offer perks typically reserved for elite flyers, like access to the Admirals Club and free checked bags for you and your travel companions.
It appears that American is also giving out complimentary Gold status (and mailed offers) as well as 10 500-mile upgrades for select members. Like the Platinum offer listed above, the offer requires registration by February 22, and you can also earn status through 2017 by earning 7,000 EQMs — not quite as generous considering the current status challenge has the same opportunity. However, you do earn 25% bonus miles as a Gold member through the end of this offer.
Thanks to TPG reader Sascha S., who shared this news tip by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll be sending out a $200 Visa gift card as a token of our appreciation.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.