This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What’s better than earning status? Getting it for free. It appears that American Airlines is giving out complimentary Platinum status to select AAdvantage members for a few months in 2016. A TPG reader recently shared an email he received, which indicates he’ll have all the benefits of Platinum status through May 31, 2016, and he’ll even receive 20 500-mile upgrades on top of those perks. It also appears that if you earn 10,000 EQMs by May 31, 2016, you’ll be able to keep status through 2017.
If you do get the targeted offer, be sure to sign up — you should receive a promo code as well as a deadline for when you need to register. If you weren’t targeted by this special offer, you can still get AA status pretty easily right now. The airline is offering a challenge to help you earn Gold and Platinum status quickly — this is available to all flyers, even if you don’t presently maintain status with another airline.
Some credit cards, like the Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard, also offer perks typically reserved for elite flyers, like access to the Admirals Club and free checked bags for you and your travel companions.
It appears that American is also giving out complimentary Gold status (and mailed offers) as well as 10 500-mile upgrades for select members. Like the Platinum offer listed above, the offer requires registration by February 22, and you can also earn status through 2017 by earning 7,000 EQMs — not quite as generous considering the current status challenge has the same opportunity. However, you do earn 25% bonus miles as a Gold member through the end of this offer.
Thanks to TPG reader Sascha S., who shared this news tip by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll be sending out a $200 Visa gift card as a token of our appreciation.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards