This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
What’s better than earning status? Getting it for free. It appears that American Airlines is giving out complimentary Platinum status to select AAdvantage members for a few months in 2016. A TPG reader recently shared an email he received, which indicates he’ll have all the benefits of Platinum status through May 31, 2016, and he’ll even receive 20 500-mile upgrades on top of those perks. It also appears that if you earn 10,000 EQMs by May 31, 2016, you’ll be able to keep status through 2017.
If you do get the targeted offer, be sure to sign up — you should receive a promo code as well as a deadline for when you need to register. If you weren’t targeted by this special offer, you can still get AA status pretty easily right now. The airline is offering a challenge to help you earn Gold and Platinum status quickly — this is available to all flyers, even if you don’t presently maintain status with another airline.
Some credit cards, like the Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard, also offer perks typically reserved for elite flyers, like access to the Admirals Club and free checked bags for you and your travel companions.
It appears that American is also giving out complimentary Gold status (and mailed offers) as well as 10 500-mile upgrades for select members. Like the Platinum offer listed above, the offer requires registration by February 22, and you can also earn status through 2017 by earning 7,000 EQMs — not quite as generous considering the current status challenge has the same opportunity. However, you do earn 25% bonus miles as a Gold member through the end of this offer.
Thanks to TPG reader Sascha S., who shared this news tip by emailing email@example.com. We’ll be sending out a $200 Visa gift card as a token of our appreciation.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees