This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
SPG has been in the news a lot lately – whether it be for rumored acquisitions, potential Cyber Monday deals, offering up to 10% off select stays or adding two new hotels in Las Vegas. But today, SPG announced that it has added Design Hotels to its collection, becoming the eleventh brand in the chain’s portfolio. Design Hotels are described as a curated selection of individual hotels that offer cultural authenticity and thought-provoking design and architecture.
The full Design Hotels portfolio, which has 287 properties worldwide, has yet to be added to SPG. As of today’s soft launch, five properties are available to book with SPG – the Gramercy Park Hotel in New York City; the C-Hotel in Lake Como, Italy; the Nira Montana in La Thuile, Italy; the Ten Bompas Hotel in Johannesburg, South Africa; and the Kruisherenhotel Maastricht Hotel in Maastricht, Netherlands. SPG will add additional Design Hotels on a regular basis, with 40 projected to join by the beginning of 2016.
SPG Members who book stays at participating Design Hotels will be offered different benefits than they receive at other SPG properties (when booking through Starwood) — here’s the rundown:
- 2 Starpoints per dollar spent (3 for Gold Preferred and Platinum Preferred Members, 4 for P75 and P100)
- Night and stay credit toward elite status
- High-speed internet access and bottled water in-room
- SPG Gold and Platinum members will automatically receive a Starpoints bonus as their welcome gift
- Members who pay with the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express or Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express card will earn 2 points per dollar at participating Design Hotels
- Free night redemption is planned to be available in early 2016
To book a stay at one of Design Hotel’s properties, go to the new chain’s tab on SPG’s website. When booking, make sure to use the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express, which is offering 25,000 points when you make $3,000 in purchases in the first three months or the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express, which is offering 25,000 points after spending $5,000 in the first three months. SPG points are widely regarded as the most valuable loyalty currency, and you can now earn points at some amazing new properties with the addition of Design Hotels.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards