How Should I Redeem 30,000 Amex Points for Award Travel?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG reader Mike messaged me to ask about his options for using Amex Membership Rewards points for travel:
“I have 30,000 points on my American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card; how should I redeem for an award flight?”
The easiest option is to use Pay with Points, which gets you 1 cent per point when booking through the Amex Travel portal. Using that method, your 30,000 points are worth $300. However, we can do much better!
The joy of Amex Membership Rewards (and other transferable points) is that you can use them with a wide variety of airline partners. Here’s the complete list of Amex airline transfer partners:
- Air Canada (Aeroplan)
- Flying Blue (Air France and KLM)
- Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
- British Airways
- El Al
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- Virgin America
- Virgin Atlantic
My personal recommendations would be Air Canada Aeroplan and British Airways Avios. Aeroplan offers some short-haul flights for 15,000 miles round-trip, so those 30,000 points could get you two round-trip flights, which is probably worth more than $300 — depending on your destination, of course. For more information, you can check Aeroplan’s flight reward chart.
British Airways is also great for short-haul flights, as you can get flights up to 650 miles (like New York to Montreal) for just 4,500 Avios each way. The fees are low when you redeem on American and Alaska, and British Airways doesn’t add last-minute booking fees, which is really helpful. In this case, your 30,000 points could get you up to six of those awards, or up to four awards at the next level (up to 1,150 miles). For more information, check out my post on Avios distance-based awards.
We’ve written extensively on using Amex Membership Rewards points — here are some related posts that you may also find useful:
- Redeeming Amex Membership Rewards for Maximum Value
- Best American Express Membership Rewards Redemptions
- 10 Ways to Use the Amex Premier Rewards Gold Sign-up Bonus
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.