This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: American will launch daily service between Los Angeles and Sydney beginning on December 17, 2015 with the 777-300ER. Additionally, Qantas will begin service from San Francisco (SFO) to Sydney on December 20, 2015.
Big news at LAX today! Yesterday, we received word of an event with American Airlines President Scott Kirby — at 1pm PT today, the airline will reveal plans for its “trans-Pacific gateway hub,” and following the airline’s tweet this morning, the
cat kangaroo is out of the bag. AA will launch service to Australia. It’s not clear which down-under destination will score an LAX flight, or which aircraft will operate it, but we’re betting on the new 777-300ER, given that even Sydney is at the tail end of the smaller AA Dreamliner’s range.
There are currently five daily flights between LAX and Sydney — two on AA partner Qantas, and one each on Delta, United and Virgin Australia. Qantas and Virgin Australia both offer service to Brisbane as well, and Qantas and United fly LAX to Melbourne (with United’s service operated by an extended-length 787-9).
The new flight will be welcome news for AAdvantage members, but given the popularity of Australia flights, business and first-class availability might be tough to come by. Currently, one-way flights from the US to Sydney run 37,500 miles in coach, 62,500 miles in business and 72,500 in first — these rates would apply to the new flight(s) on AA metal as well.
For more on Australia:
- Hotel Review: Park Hyatt Sydney City
- Destination Of The Week: Sydney
- United GlobalFirst Review: Los Angeles – Sydney – Melbourne
- Sydney Restaurant Recommendations
If you're a frequent American flyer but don't have status, additional perks that come with this card like first free checked bag on domestic AA itineraries, preferred boarding on American flights and 10% of your redeemed AA miles back (up to 10,000 miles each year) can be extremely valuable.
- Earn 30,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases*
- Receive 25% savings on in-flight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*
- Double AAdvantage® miles on eligible American Airlines purchases*