American Launching Service from LAX to Sydney, Australia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: American will launch daily service between Los Angeles and Sydney beginning on December 17, 2015 with the 777-300ER. Additionally, Qantas will begin service from San Francisco (SFO) to Sydney on December 20, 2015.
Big news at LAX today! Yesterday, we received word of an event with American Airlines President Scott Kirby — at 1pm PT today, the airline will reveal plans for its “trans-Pacific gateway hub,” and following the airline’s tweet this morning, the
cat kangaroo is out of the bag. AA will launch service to Australia. It’s not clear which down-under destination will score an LAX flight, or which aircraft will operate it, but we’re betting on the new 777-300ER, given that even Sydney is at the tail end of the smaller AA Dreamliner’s range.
There are currently five daily flights between LAX and Sydney — two on AA partner Qantas, and one each on Delta, United and Virgin Australia. Qantas and Virgin Australia both offer service to Brisbane as well, and Qantas and United fly LAX to Melbourne (with United’s service operated by an extended-length 787-9).
The new flight will be welcome news for AAdvantage members, but given the popularity of Australia flights, business and first-class availability might be tough to come by. Currently, one-way flights from the US to Sydney run 37,500 miles in coach, 62,500 miles in business and 72,500 in first — these rates would apply to the new flight(s) on AA metal as well.
For more on Australia:
- Hotel Review: Park Hyatt Sydney City
- Destination Of The Week: Sydney
- United GlobalFirst Review: Los Angeles – Sydney – Melbourne
- Sydney Restaurant Recommendations
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel