Using a Luggage Delivery Service When You Fly
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This weekend I am presenting at the Frequent Traveler University conference in Dallas and I wanted to bring some fun goodies like t-shirts and bears to give away (confession: we also desperately needed the closet space back to prep for two kids). I was going to fly the short flight from Houston to Dallas for the conference, but wasn’t quite sure how I would comfortably maneuver not only my (big) purse and carry-on luggage, but also this decent sized box of t-shirts and bears. It could be done with the help of getting luggage carts a couple of times, but it really didn’t sound like my idea of pregnant fun.
Using a Luggage Delivery Service
Then I remembered about a cool sounding baggage delivery service that I had yet to find a good reason to try out for myself. BagsVIP partners with United (and a few other airlines including Delta, JetBlue, American, Southwest, and Alaska) to delivery your bags to your home, hotel, office, etc. so you can skip waiting at the baggage carousel and messing the bags or boxes and leave the airport as soon as you land. I can think of lots of very practical uses for this including traveling solo with kids, heading straight to a meeting or presentation upon landing, or simply traveling with more stuff than you can easily carry by yourself.
To be eligible for this service, your flight must be originating from a US airport and the delivery service is only available at select U.S. airports. They say your bag will be delivered within four hours of your flight’s arrival if your destination is within 40 miles of the airport, and within six hours if your destination is within 40 – 100 miles from the airport (extra $1 per mile for deliveries over 40 miles from the airport).
Costs of Using a Luggage Delivery Service
Of course, this sort of service isn’t free… In additional to whatever charges the airline may charge you for your checked bags, you will may extra to BagsVIP for their delivery service. In my case I didn’t have any checked bag fees from United, so I only had to pay the BagsVIP charges.
The charges to use BagsVIP are:
1 bag $29.95
2 bags $39.95
3-8 bags $49.95
My Experience Using BagsVIP
A week or so before my flight I went to the BagsVIP website and purchased the service though you can schedule until one hour prior to your scheduled flight departure time. I had to input my flight info, the number of bags, the description of the bag, my destination information, etc. It was a pretty simple process that only took a couple of minutes.
The day of the flight I checked my box in as normal with United and asked if there was anything special I needed to do since I was having it delivered via BagsVIP. This started a whole chain reaction of confusion as I was told they don’t deliver bags, “this isn’t FedEx”, I have to claim my own bag at baggage claim, etc. I showed them my confirmation from BagsVIP, but that didn’t help at all. In the end I just trusted it was going to work and my checked box went into the airport in Houston with me a little unsure if I would see it safety delivered to my hotel in Dallas.
After landing in Dallas I spent some time in the airport at the Amex Centurion Lounge, and before I ever got to the hotel I had three email confirmations from BagsVIP first saying that my bag was picked up, then that it was on its way, and finally that it had been delivered.
When I arrived at the hotel to check-in, the front desk staff said they had a package for me, and indeed it was my box that had been delivered before I even arrived without me having to do anything!
In this case the service was well worth the $29.95, and I love that the more bags you have delivered the better relative value the service is. There aren’t a whole lot of circumstances where I anticipate needing my luggage delivered, but I will certainly keep it in mind when I have more bags or boxes than I can easily manage on my own.
Have you used a service like this? What was your experience?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees