30% Amex British Airways Transfer Bonus Now Live Until January 14, 2013
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The 30% transfer bonus from American Express Membership Rewards to British Airways Avios I wrote about a couple weeks ago has finally gone live and will be available until January 14, 2013. The bonus is, as usual, hard coded into the transfer page at Membership Rewards.
I’m actually getting low on British Airways Avios (too many first class redemptions to Europe and Asia this year!), so it’s nice to be able to use my Membership Rewards points and get a bonus on top of them. If you don’t have many Amex and you need Avios, the British Airways Visa Signature Card from Chase, just re-launched another 100,000 Avios bonus. You get 50,000 Avios right off the bat by spending $3,000 within the first 3 months and then another 25,000 with $10,000 total in spend within a year. Plus, an additional 25,000 with $20,000 total in spend within a year.
Amex also launched a 35% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic until December 29, 2012 that I’m also considering – not because I’m after Virgin Atlantic miles (of all the Virgins, I’ll be considering Virgin America after my recent gold status match), but because I might want some Hilton HHonors points.
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles transfer to Hilton at a 2:1 ratio, so instead of the usual 1 Amex point to 1.5 Hilton HHonors points, I’d get 1 Amex point to 2.7 HHonors points, an 80% bonus. If I were to transfer 100,000 Amex points, I’d end up with 270,000 Hilton Honors points – more than enough for an 8-night stay at a Category 6 property like the Hilton Los Cabos, which is only 240,000 points with the GLON rate I get from being a Hilton HHonors Gold elite thanks to having the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card from Citi. Check out this post for more information on maximizing Hilton awards.
So what it comes down to for me is: airline miles versus hotel points? I’m leaning towards the latter, especially since I’m about to become a Hilton Diamond and look forward to redeeming at some of their top properties.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees