How to Transfer Starwood Points to Other People For Free
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Most airline and hotel programs charge steep fees for transferring points and miles to other people, while some have unique family account features. Starwood is one of the most flexible, because it allows members to transfer points to other SPG members who have the same address in their profile for free and there is no limit to the number of points you can transfer. Transfers are usually instant, but can take up to 5 business days to process and they can be initiated online at spg.com -> Quick Links -> My Account -> Redeem/Transfer Points -> Transfer to another member.
Starwood requires that both accounts must have been active and listed at the same address on each for at least 30 days. No verification is asked for on the transfer form, though Starwood does reserve the right to request proof of residence. Note: if SPG smells a fraud, they might take away your points and bar you from the program so I do not recommend abusing this feature.
Starwood Vacation Owners can transfer points among each other even if they are not at the same address, so if you’re a timeshare owner with Starwood, that adds another level of flexibility to the program for transfers and redemptions.
The great thing is, if you do want to take advantage of these transfers, they’re free, and there is no limit to the number of points you can transfer, so if you’re looking to combine your redemption power among a couple accounts within a household, this could be a great way to pool the points necessary for awards you want.
Let’s say a couple living at the same address each got the SPG personal and business American Express cards at the current 30,000-point bonus on each. Each person would have 60,000 Starpoints once they met the minimum spending requirements. That’s enough for 7 nights at a Category 4 property, 6 nights at a Category 5 property, 3 nights at a Category 6 property, or 2 nights at a Category 7 property.
But together, if the couple combined all their points into a single SPG account, they’d have 120,000 points total (Note: you cannot combine the elite qualifying nights/stays that come with the card, so each person would have 4 stays/10 nights towards elite status). That would mean 5 nights at a Category 7 property like the St. Regis Florence where rooms start at around 400 euros ($500) a night. Not bad – that’s half a honeymoon paid for right there!
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees