How to Transfer Starwood Points to Other People For Free
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Most airline and hotel programs charge steep fees for transferring points and miles to other people, while some have unique family account features. Starwood is one of the most flexible, because it allows members to transfer points to other SPG members who have the same address in their profile for free and there is no limit to the number of points you can transfer. Transfers are usually instant, but can take up to 5 business days to process and they can be initiated online at spg.com -> Quick Links -> My Account -> Redeem/Transfer Points -> Transfer to another member.
Starwood requires that both accounts must have been active and listed at the same address on each for at least 30 days. No verification is asked for on the transfer form, though Starwood does reserve the right to request proof of residence. Note: if SPG smells a fraud, they might take away your points and bar you from the program so I do not recommend abusing this feature.
Starwood Vacation Owners can transfer points among each other even if they are not at the same address, so if you’re a timeshare owner with Starwood, that adds another level of flexibility to the program for transfers and redemptions.
The great thing is, if you do want to take advantage of these transfers, they’re free, and there is no limit to the number of points you can transfer, so if you’re looking to combine your redemption power among a couple accounts within a household, this could be a great way to pool the points necessary for awards you want.
Let’s say a couple living at the same address each got the SPG personal and business American Express cards at the current 30,000-point bonus on each. Each person would have 60,000 Starpoints once they met the minimum spending requirements. That’s enough for 7 nights at a Category 4 property, 6 nights at a Category 5 property, 3 nights at a Category 6 property, or 2 nights at a Category 7 property.
But together, if the couple combined all their points into a single SPG account, they’d have 120,000 points total (Note: you cannot combine the elite qualifying nights/stays that come with the card, so each person would have 4 stays/10 nights towards elite status). That would mean 5 nights at a Category 7 property like the St. Regis Florence where rooms start at around 400 euros ($500) a night. Not bad – that’s half a honeymoon paid for right there!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.