Young AvGeek’s 10th-Birthday Gift: A Behind-the-Scenes Celebration at Delhi Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It was a birthday dream come true for Abeer Magoo, who turned 10 years old on June 10. A passionate AvGeek, Abeer loves to make models of airports. Last month, he made a model of the Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL) in Delhi, India, looking at Google Earth imagery and combining it with his own experience. The pictures of his model were tweeted by his uncle and went viral.
— Amit Agarwal (@AmitAgarwal22) May 18, 2019
No wonder, then, that DEL administrators got wind of the young AvGeek and the CEO sent him a personal invitation for a “10/10 birthday,” as he called it, to visit the airport and celebrate there.
Dear Amit, as Abeer turns 10 on the 10th of June, we wanted to give him a 10/10 for his fabulous model of #DelhiAirport. Scheduling an airport tour with the #AvGeek prodigy soon. https://t.co/PUKM5je8Cv pic.twitter.com/ewlyganJme
— Delhi Airport (@DelhiAirport) May 28, 2019
Jumping at the opportunity, Abeer turned up for his special visit in a captain’s uniform he got stitched up for the occasion. Like all AvGeeks, Abeer has an inquisitive mind. He arrived at the airport, escorted by his parents, with a bundle of questions.
The tour started with a trip to the Airport Operations Control Center, where Abeer was given a personalized ramp jacket with his name on it. He was told about all the systems and processes of Airport Operations and got a view of the big screen which tracks every aircraft coming in and going out.
Abeer was then taken to the roof of the AOCC, where he had a full view of the airport, all the runways and the Air Traffic Control Tower. After a bit of planespotting there, he was whisked away to the ATC Tower. Abeer says he always wanted to know more about how air traffic is controlled and how controllers communicate with pilots. At the tower, Abeer got a 360-degree view of the airport, which “looked like my miniature airport model from that height,” he said.
Inside the Air Traffic Control office, he learned about navigation and tracked an aircraft along with the ATC team. Abeer was watching out for AI 381, Air India’s 787-8 operating from Singapore to Delhi, heard its radio traffic with ATC and saw it land.
After a dream morning, Abeer headed off to lunch with the head chef of DEL’s Terminal 3. He was served his favorite food, French fries, and also got a birthday cake.
Then it was time to meet the airport CEO, Videh Kumar Jaipuriar. Again, Abeer was welcomed with a massive cake and a gift. After an elaborate cake-cutting, Jaipuriar and Abeer discussed airport operations. Abeer had more questions, which the CEO patiently answered.
Finally, Abeer visited the model room, where DEL put together a collection of all the aircraft which fly, or have flown in the past, in and out of the airport. DEL, of course, is the primary hub of Air India and the gateway airport to India. He also heard about plans for the airport’s future.
Abeer went home happy, and then threw an aviation-themed birthday bash for all his friends where he played, what else, the role of captain.
Featured image by Amal KS/Hindustan Times via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.