Young AvGeek’s 10th-Birthday Gift: A Behind-the-Scenes Celebration at Delhi Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It was a birthday dream come true for Abeer Magoo, who turned 10 years old on June 10. A passionate AvGeek, Abeer loves to make models of airports. Last month, he made a model of the Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL) in Delhi, India, looking at Google Earth imagery and combining it with his own experience. The pictures of his model were tweeted by his uncle and went viral.
— Amit Agarwal (@AmitAgarwal22) May 18, 2019
No wonder, then, that DEL administrators got wind of the young AvGeek and the CEO sent him a personal invitation for a “10/10 birthday,” as he called it, to visit the airport and celebrate there.
Dear Amit, as Abeer turns 10 on the 10th of June, we wanted to give him a 10/10 for his fabulous model of #DelhiAirport. Scheduling an airport tour with the #AvGeek prodigy soon. https://t.co/PUKM5je8Cv pic.twitter.com/ewlyganJme
— Delhi Airport (@DelhiAirport) May 28, 2019
Jumping at the opportunity, Abeer turned up for his special visit in a captain’s uniform he got stitched up for the occasion. Like all AvGeeks, Abeer has an inquisitive mind. He arrived at the airport, escorted by his parents, with a bundle of questions.
The tour started with a trip to the Airport Operations Control Center, where Abeer was given a personalized ramp jacket with his name on it. He was told about all the systems and processes of Airport Operations and got a view of the big screen which tracks every aircraft coming in and going out.
Abeer was then taken to the roof of the AOCC, where he had a full view of the airport, all the runways and the Air Traffic Control Tower. After a bit of planespotting there, he was whisked away to the ATC Tower. Abeer says he always wanted to know more about how air traffic is controlled and how controllers communicate with pilots. At the tower, Abeer got a 360-degree view of the airport, which “looked like my miniature airport model from that height,” he said.
Inside the Air Traffic Control office, he learned about navigation and tracked an aircraft along with the ATC team. Abeer was watching out for AI 381, Air India’s 787-8 operating from Singapore to Delhi, heard its radio traffic with ATC and saw it land.
After a dream morning, Abeer headed off to lunch with the head chef of DEL’s Terminal 3. He was served his favorite food, French fries, and also got a birthday cake.
Then it was time to meet the airport CEO, Videh Kumar Jaipuriar. Again, Abeer was welcomed with a massive cake and a gift. After an elaborate cake-cutting, Jaipuriar and Abeer discussed airport operations. Abeer had more questions, which the CEO patiently answered.
Finally, Abeer visited the model room, where DEL put together a collection of all the aircraft which fly, or have flown in the past, in and out of the airport. DEL, of course, is the primary hub of Air India and the gateway airport to India. He also heard about plans for the airport’s future.
Abeer went home happy, and then threw an aviation-themed birthday bash for all his friends where he played, what else, the role of captain.
Featured image by Amal KS/Hindustan Times via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees