You Can Now Buy Part of a Game of Thrones Castle in Northern Ireland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In Northern Island, a castle featured in the HBO hit “Game of Thrones” has hit the market — and it can be yours for approximately $651,000.
Gosford Castle, on Mullaghbrack Road, is a Norman Revival-style castle erected in the mid-1800s for Archibald Acheson, the second Earl of Gosford. According to People, Gosford Castle was used during filming as Riverrun (Catelyn Stark’s childhood home, and the former residence of the villainous Walder Frey).
The Maison Real Estate listing describes how the castle, originally a private estate, was used to accommodate troops and prisoners of war during World War II. In the decades that followed, the estate was established as Gosford Forest Park — Northern Ireland’s first conservation forest — was returned to military use, and was even transformed into a hotel in the 1980s.
Ultimately, Gosford Castle was developed into a series of 23 separate units, and great care was taken to restore the historic features of the castle (the staircases, massive arched windows and vaulted ceilings, for example).
At this time, sections of the castle are being sold as separate residences — and bids above £500,000 are welcome for this particular sliver of the partially-developed property, which has at least 24 bedrooms (thought to be converted into six distinct apartments).
The developer has proposed three five-bedroom and three three-bedroom units, all roughly 3,500-square-feet and with names fit for a Lady or Lord of the House Tully: the Great Hall, the Round Tower and the Old Keep, to name a few.
As Maison Real Estate says, the future owner of this portion of Gosford Castle could take the development in a new direction. It could be restored to its former use as a hotel, or it could continue to be commercialized as a television or film set.
Want to consider a new home in Westeros — er, Northern Ireland? Contact the Maison Real Estate office directly. Or, perhaps, consider this a unique opportunity to arrange a tour of a former Game of Thrones film set before it’s transformed into private property.
Featured image by Maison Real Estate.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees