You Can Now Buy Part of a Game of Thrones Castle in Northern Ireland
In Northern Island, a castle featured in the HBO hit “Game of Thrones” has hit the market — and it can be yours for approximately $651,000.
Gosford Castle, on Mullaghbrack Road, is a Norman Revival-style castle erected in the mid-1800s for Archibald Acheson, the second Earl of Gosford. According to People, Gosford Castle was used during filming as Riverrun (Catelyn Stark’s childhood home, and the former residence of the villainous Walder Frey).
The Maison Real Estate listing describes how the castle, originally a private estate, was used to accommodate troops and prisoners of war during World War II. In the decades that followed, the estate was established as Gosford Forest Park — Northern Ireland’s first conservation forest — was returned to military use, and was even transformed into a hotel in the 1980s.
Ultimately, Gosford Castle was developed into a series of 23 separate units, and great care was taken to restore the historic features of the castle (the staircases, massive arched windows and vaulted ceilings, for example).
At this time, sections of the castle are being sold as separate residences — and bids above £500,000 are welcome for this particular sliver of the partially-developed property, which has at least 24 bedrooms (thought to be converted into six distinct apartments).
The developer has proposed three five-bedroom and three three-bedroom units, all roughly 3,500-square-feet and with names fit for a Lady or Lord of the House Tully: the Great Hall, the Round Tower and the Old Keep, to name a few.
As Maison Real Estate says, the future owner of this portion of Gosford Castle could take the development in a new direction. It could be restored to its former use as a hotel, or it could continue to be commercialized as a television or film set.
Want to consider a new home in Westeros — er, Northern Ireland? Contact the Maison Real Estate office directly. Or, perhaps, consider this a unique opportunity to arrange a tour of a former Game of Thrones film set before it’s transformed into private property.
Featured image by Maison Real Estate.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.