Wow Air Announces Details of Potential Indigo Partnership
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Icelandic ultra-low-cost carrier Wow Air has released new details regarding its potential partnership with its latest proposed financial savior, private equity firm Indigo Partners. [Update, 3/28/2019: WOW Air has ceased operations. Find our ongoing coverage of WOW Air’s collapse, and what affected passengers can do about it, here.]
According to a Jan. 9 letter to Wow Air bondholders obtained by Air Transport World, Wow founder and CEO Skuli Mogensen says Indigo is set to take a 49% stake in the struggling carrier in the form of a convertible loan. Wow has been struggling to get its financial house in order over the past few months, making cuts to both its routes and fleet. Despite its financial strife, Wow has not stopped announcing new cheap fares, like $49 tickets from US cities to Europe.
Indigo partners stepped up at the end 2018 to signal its interest in the Reykjavik-based airline. The latest announcement is now giving more details surrounding that possible arrangement. Under the current agreement, Indigo is set to invest as much as $75 million in Wow. At the time of the first announcement, there was no indication as to how big of a stake in the airline that sum would give Indigo. The loan would have a 10-year maturity, and the total amount invested will depend on the actual needs of the airline. That initial ownership stake could be increased during the term of the loan from Indigo.
The airline and Indigo are still in negotiations on how to deal with a current outstanding loan “from a current shareholder,” who is most likely Mogensen, who said in the past he has floated the airline at least 5.5 million euro to keep it afloat. Negotiations are focused around converting that current loan to equity or leaving the loan in place before Indigo finalizes its investment.
H/T: ATW Online
Featured Photo by Wow Air.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.