WOW Air One Step Closer to a Lifeline
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We have been reporting on the rather gloomy outlook for Wow airlines in recent days and weeks. The airline has taken steps on its own to try and survive by downsizing its fleet and cutting routes. And as the faltering Reykjavik-based carrier has struggled to continue operations, it has seen potential saviors come and go. [Update, 3/28/2019: WOW Air has ceased operations. Find our ongoing coverage of WOW Air’s collapse, and what affected passengers can do about it, here.]
In a press release from December 14, Wow stated that they are moving forward with one of their potential investors. Indigo Partners, which owns Frontier Airlines, has agreed — in principal — to an investment in the failing airline.
If Indigo’s track record with troubled low-cost airlines is any indication, Wow might just survive. Indigo is widely credited with saving Spirit Airlines when it was struggling. Spirit is now one of the most profitable airlines in the ultra-budget sector, posting a third quarter net income of $97.5 million in 2018.
The agreement is yet to be inked by the two parties, but the press release says the due diligence phase has been completed by both sides. Under the agreement, Wow could see as much as a $75 million investment to help stabilize its business.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.