World’s Largest Airport Being Built in Beijing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Beijing Daxing International airport is set to be the world’s largest single terminal airport when it opens later this year outside Beijing. Daxing will be Beijing’s second international airport. The massive airport comes with a massive price tag of $14 billion. The airport is set to open in September and is expected to see as many as 79 million travelers by 2025 with a final target of 100 million when fully completed. Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson (ATL) airport currently is the busiest airport in the world with around 104 million passengers annually.
The airport is slated to have to total of eight runways, the shortest of which will be over 11,000 feet in length. The airport’s overall footprint covers 18 square miles, while the terminal itself is more than 7.5 million square feet. Plenty of room for all those expected passengers.
From the outside you can get an idea of the massive scale of the project.
With a design that looks like it was inspired by Go To Meeting’s logo, it certainly has an aesthetic that people are sure to love or hate.
The airport received its first flight this past week as testing begins for certification. The test flights will be checking out all of the airports navigational and landing aids as well as testing ATC procedures for the airport. Test flights are scheduled to be completed by the end of March.
H/T: The Atlantic
Featured photo by VCG/VCG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees