World’s Largest Airport Being Built in Beijing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Beijing Daxing International airport is set to be the world’s largest single terminal airport when it opens later this year outside Beijing. Daxing will be Beijing’s second international airport. The massive airport comes with a massive price tag of $14 billion. The airport is set to open in September and is expected to see as many as 79 million travelers by 2025 with a final target of 100 million when fully completed. Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson (ATL) airport currently is the busiest airport in the world with around 104 million passengers annually.
The airport is slated to have to total of eight runways, the shortest of which will be over 11,000 feet in length. The airport’s overall footprint covers 18 square miles, while the terminal itself is more than 7.5 million square feet. Plenty of room for all those expected passengers.
From the outside you can get an idea of the massive scale of the project.
With a design that looks like it was inspired by Go To Meeting’s logo, it certainly has an aesthetic that people are sure to love or hate.
The airport received its first flight this past week as testing begins for certification. The test flights will be checking out all of the airports navigational and landing aids as well as testing ATC procedures for the airport. Test flights are scheduled to be completed by the end of March.
H/T: The Atlantic
Featured photo by VCG/VCG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.