World’s First Underwater Villa to Open in Late 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Conrad Maldives Rangali Island announced on Tuesday the construction of the world’s first undersea villa, a $15 million submersion project that’s already underway. The new villa is set to open in November 2018 and will join the ranks of the hotel’s underwater restaurant, Ithaa.
This is the first undersea villa of its kind — it will allow guests to immerse themselves in the Indian Ocean. Other underwater villas exist already but in man-made aquariums, this is believed to be the first villa in the open seas.
The undersea residence will be named THE MURAKA, which means coral in Dhivehi, the local language in the Maldives. The villa is designed to blend in with its surroundings in the Indian Ocean, one of Earth’s most breathtaking marine environments. The villa will be situated so that the vibrant colors and vast array of marine life will be able to be seen from every corner of the room.
“Driven by our inspiration to deliver innovative and transformative experiences to our global travelers, the world’s first undersea residence encourages guests to explore the Maldives from an entirely new perspective below the surface of the sea,” Ahmed Saleem, a director at Crown Company and chief architect and designer of the undersea residence, said in a press release. “Through our rich history of being a trailblazer in innovative luxury hospitality, we are proud to remain at the forefront of cutting-edge design, technology and architecture.”
The villa will be a two-level structure with part of it it above sea level; the residential area will be located more than 16 feet below the ocean’s surface and will feature a king-size bedroom, living area, bathroom and spiral staircase that leads to the area above sea level. The upper area will feature a twin-size bedroom, bathroom, gym, living room, kitchen and a deck that faces the sunset as well as many other features. The villa will be able to accommodate nine guests.
Typically, the overwater villas at the Conrad Maldives are available for about $1,400 (although prices vary) or 322,000 Hilton Honors points. Architectural Digest is reporting that the undersea villa will be available for $50,000 a night. The Conrad Maldives has not responded to TPG’s inquiry on the nightly rate for the villa.
The Conrad Maldives offers some of the best diving and snorkeling in the world. The resort features 12 (overwater) villas and 12 restaurants and bars as well as two spas that were built to flow with the natural surroundings. The resort hopes that the new underwater villa will continue to bring its guests even closer to the natural world.
Feature image courtesy Conrad Maldives.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees