Follow The Yellow Brick Road Inside a Rarely Open Wizard of Oz Theme Park
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking for a unique weekend getaway this June, look no further than the land of Oz. No, not Australia, but Oz, as in Wizard of Oz. Bald Thoughts reports that the “Wizard of Oz” theme park, not truly abandoned, but largely closed since the 1980s, will reopen for a few select days this summer and fall for small group tours. You won’t be in Kansas; you’ll find the Land of Oz in Beech Mountain, North Carolina.
The “Journey with Dorothy” at the Land of Oz is a 45-minute tour led by Dorothy herself. On June 6, 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 26, 27, 28 and July 5, you can participate in an interactive Oz experience where you might even get to portray one of the iconic characters. Tickets are $27.50 for ages 2 and up.
If this summer doesn’t work for you, you’ll have another chance to go over the rainbow this fall. Those dates are still TBD, but this fall the “Wizard of Oz” movie celebrates its 80th anniversary and the “Wizard of Oz” theme park will open for a festival with props from the original movie and many other festivities. Tickets go on sale in May for the fall festival and they will be priced at $45.
Need to Know
- The closest large hub airport to the Land of Oz is Charlotte (CLT), which is about 2.5 hours from Beech Mountain. Asheville (AVL), North Carolina, is another option but you’ll often find more award flights or affordable cash flights to and from Charlotte. If you are coming from the central or eastern part of the country, Avios might be your best bet starting at 7,500 each way for short-haul flights on American Airlines.
- Boone, North Carolina, is the closest town with points hotels. IHG and Marriott are the chains best represented in the area. Representing Marriott are a Fairfield (Category 3, 17,500 points/night) and a Courtyard (Category 4, 25,000 points/night). Representing IHG are a Holiday Inn Express at 25,000 points and a new Holiday Inn (points rate TBD). However, I would check cash rates first, because most I saw were only around $100/night.
- The Land of Oz theme park is said not to be stroller- or wheelchair-friendly due to uneven pathways, staircases and steep ramps built within the natural terrain of Beech Mountain.
View this post on Instagram
The Land of Oz theme park is not truly abandoned, but it also isn’t open to visitors very frequently, so circle the dates on your calendar for the summer if you want to live out your Wizard of Oz dreams (or at least take some really cool yellow brick road photos for Instagram).
Featured image by bambithepig / Flickr
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.