This organization offers airport practice sessions for families and those with special needs
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s something more airports should do: Host a day when families, and anyone else that may need extra assistance, can take advantage of a helpful day-of-travel practice session. That’s what the Wings for All program, under the auspices of The Arc, hosted on Oct. 19 at the Dane County Regional Airport (MSN) in Madison, Wisconsin.
The Arc is a group whose mission is, “Promoting and protecting the human rights of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and actively supporting their full inclusion and participation in the community throughout their lifetimes.”
The group’s Wings for All and Wings for Autism programs help make travel more accessible for all sorts of people, especially those with autism or other conditions who may experience barriers when it comes to the processes involved with hitting the road.
A travel day can be stressful for anyone and is packed with often overwhelming stimuli, from crowds and TSA security screening to bright lights and gate changes. It can be a lot to handle. Sometimes, individuals and families decide that the unknown variables of travel make it impossible and they never schedule trips to see friends and families or go on vacation.
Wings for All was designed to change that sentiment and make air travel accessible for everyone.
What is Wings for All?
The Wings for All and Wings for Autism programs are meant for both families and aviation professionals. For families and individuals, it’s an airport “rehearsal” of sorts with the opportunity to go through the actual processes to check-in, receive a boarding pass, go through a TSA security checkpoint, wait in a boarding area and board an actual aircraft. (The aircraft doesn’t takeoff, however.)
For airport professionals, the program gives them an opportunity to “observe, interact and deliver their services in a structured learning environment.” The goal is to help them improve their skills dealing with all sorts of people that may have a variety of different issues that make it more difficult to travel.
The airport can be a noisy and unfamiliar place. Check out what our teams did in partnership with @TheArcUS and @FresnoAirport to bring the joy of aviation to those with autism or intellectual/developmental disabilities during Wings for Autism!https://t.co/hep6vatHge pic.twitter.com/CB5I7qQS1X
— SkyWest Airlines (@SkyWestAirlines) October 17, 2019
Upcoming Wings for All sessions
You can participate in a future Wings for All airport day. See the schedule below.
- Binghamton, New York: Oct. 26
- Cleveland, Ohio: Oct. 26
- Kansas City, Missouri: Oct. 26
- Anchorage, Alaska: Nov. 2
- Lexington, Kentucky: Nov. 9
- Syracuse, New York: Nov. 16
Or, contact Wings for All to bring the program to an airport near you.
Featured image by AzmanL/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees