What happens at Disney World the night after Halloween
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How long does it take your family to pack away Halloween and decorate everything for the holidays? If you groaned and thought days, weeks or longer, you’re probably in good company. Heck, the Halloween sugar hangover itself can last at least a few days. And pumpkins totally work for all of November, yes?
While true in the real world, those sort of real-life issues don’t apply at Disney where magic — or at least the illusion of magic — prevails, even in 2020.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips, please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
When the final Disney’s Magic Kingdom closes for the night on Halloween, the real work begins.
FOR NO COST ASSISTANCE WITH PLANNING AND BOOKING YOUR NEXT DISNEY VACATION, CHECK OUT TPG’S DISNEY BOOKING PARTNER, MOUSE COUNSELORS. HERE’S WHY USING A FREE VACATION PLANNER CAN MAKE YOUR NEXT DISNEY TRIP BETTER.
Disney cast members work some serious magic under the cover of darkness on the night of Oct. 31 and probably into the wee hours of Nov. 1. Any traces of jack-o’-lanterns and all things spooky disappear and the halls are instead decked at Disney World with red and green trimmings. Typically, lots of red and green trimmings.
While the fall holiday decor was a bit subdued at Magic Kingdom this year, Christmas decor looks to be ready to celebrate the holidays based on some looks around social media.
The massive Disney World resort as a whole will unleash the rest of its holiday décor over the coming weeks, but the Magic Kingdom traditionally made its big seasonal shift literally overnight before the park reopened to guests this morning.
Some years on Nov. 1, Disney park visitors note that even Christmas music is playing the day after Halloween.
To give a sense of how massive the transition is, Disney’s Magic Kingdom alone is usually home to 590 garlands (measuring a total of 5,188 feet), 40 Christmas trees and 147 wreaths. The tallest tree in all of Disney World — measuring in at 70 feet — can normally be found at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, a monorail ride away from the Magic Kingdom.
Making the quick leap from Halloween to holidays is a big job that, according to Disney, requires 41 people’s full-time attention year-round and an extra 90 cast members added this time of the year to get everything up (and down) quickly.
While Disney’s typical Christmas festivities like Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas party won’t take place this year, you will still be able to get a dose of 2020 holiday magic in the Disney World theme parks and resorts. There are holiday will be decorations, music, themed mini-parades, treats and more starting, well, right this very minute.
Featured photo by David Roark/Disney Parks.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.