WestJet challenges Air Canada between Calgary and Boston
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Calgary-based carrier will offer seasonal daily service between Boston Logan (BOS) and Calgary (YYC) from May 14, WestJet said Thursday. The airline will operate a Boeing 737 on the route.
WestJet’s main hub is in Calgary, while Boston is a new hub for its partner Delta Air Lines.
The move appears a competitive response to Air Canada. On Tuesday, the Montreal-based carrier unveiled plans to offer the route on an Airbus A319 from June 22 through Sept. 22. Air Canada is a codeshare partner of United Airlines.
“While other carriers may fly the route, WestJet continues to build our schedule for the region’s business and leisure travelers,” said WestJet’s commercial chief Arved von zur Muehlen in a statement. “It’s never been easier to explore and do business in Calgary, Boston and beyond.”
WestJet and Delta are in the process of securing regulatory approvals for a larger partnership between Canada and the U.S. Canadian regulators have approved the tie up, which would all the airlines to act as essentially one in the market, while U.S. officials continue to consider the pact.
Alaska Airlines opposes the partnership, while Southwest Airlines supports it only if WestJet divests 16 slots it holds at New York LaGuardia (LGA) airport.
WestJet serves Boston from Toronto Pearson (YYZ) currently, according to Cirium schedules.
Featured image by Tony Bock/Toronto Star via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.