What’s Faster From London to Paris, Plane or Train? Watch the TPG UK Team Race
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re traveling across the pond, it’s possible that either London or Paris is on your itinerary. The two cities are great options for a vacation in Europe. And, if you go to one, why not visit the other?
But how do you get between the two? Not only that, but what’s the fastest and most efficient option? Our colleagues over at TPG UK wanted to figure it out. So, our London-based team sent head of video Jean Arnas (train) to race director of content Nicky Kelvin and social media editor Liam Spencer (plane) from Buckingham Palace to the Eiffel Tower.
Watch the full video of the race here:
Here’s the cost and time breakdown for each option:
- Tube: £2.90
- Heathrow Express: £22
- Airfare: 4,500 Avios + £17.50
- Taxi in Paris: £50
- TOTAL COST: £92.40 + 4,500 Avios (~$112)
- TOTAL TIME: 11am departure; 4:21pm arrival
- Tube: £2.90
- Eurostar ticket: £123
- Taxi: £12.60
- TOTAL COST: £138.50 (~$169)
- TOTAL TIME: 11am departure; 4:27pm arrival
While the plane prevailed in this instance, our key takeaway is that there’s no one definitive answer to which is fastest 100% of the time. In Jean’s case, a 15-minute delay under the English Channel was all that was needed for the plane to come in first.
What’s your favorite way to get between London and Paris?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.