What’s Faster From London to Paris, Plane or Train? Watch the TPG UK Team Race
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re traveling across the pond, it’s possible that either London or Paris is on your itinerary. The two cities are great options for a vacation in Europe. And, if you go to one, why not visit the other?
But how do you get between the two? Not only that, but what’s the fastest and most efficient option? Our colleagues over at TPG UK wanted to figure it out. So, our London-based team sent head of video Jean Arnas (train) to race director of content Nicky Kelvin and social media editor Liam Spencer (plane) from Buckingham Palace to the Eiffel Tower.
Watch the full video of the race here:
Here’s the cost and time breakdown for each option:
- Tube: £2.90
- Heathrow Express: £22
- Airfare: 4,500 Avios + £17.50
- Taxi in Paris: £50
- TOTAL COST: £92.40 + 4,500 Avios (~$112)
- TOTAL TIME: 11am departure; 4:21pm arrival
- Tube: £2.90
- Eurostar ticket: £123
- Taxi: £12.60
- TOTAL COST: £138.50 (~$169)
- TOTAL TIME: 11am departure; 4:27pm arrival
While the plane prevailed in this instance, our key takeaway is that there’s no one definitive answer to which is fastest 100% of the time. In Jean’s case, a 15-minute delay under the English Channel was all that was needed for the plane to come in first.
What’s your favorite way to get between London and Paris?
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees