What’s Faster From London to Paris, Plane or Train? Watch the TPG UK Team Race
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re traveling across the pond, it’s possible that either London or Paris is on your itinerary. The two cities are great options for a vacation in Europe. And, if you go to one, why not visit the other?
But how do you get between the two? Not only that, but what’s the fastest and most efficient option? Our colleagues over at TPG UK wanted to figure it out. So, our London-based team sent head of video Jean Arnas (train) to race director of content Nicky Kelvin and social media editor Liam Spencer (plane) from Buckingham Palace to the Eiffel Tower.
Watch the full video of the race here:
Here’s the cost and time breakdown for each option:
- Tube: £2.90
- Heathrow Express: £22
- Airfare: 4,500 Avios + £17.50
- Taxi in Paris: £50
- TOTAL COST: £92.40 + 4,500 Avios (~$112)
- TOTAL TIME: 11am departure; 4:21pm arrival
- Tube: £2.90
- Eurostar ticket: £123
- Taxi: £12.60
- TOTAL COST: £138.50 (~$169)
- TOTAL TIME: 11am departure; 4:27pm arrival
While the plane prevailed in this instance, our key takeaway is that there’s no one definitive answer to which is fastest 100% of the time. In Jean’s case, a 15-minute delay under the English Channel was all that was needed for the plane to come in first.
What’s your favorite way to get between London and Paris?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees