Video: A Massive Cruise Ship Hits a Dock in Honduras
An MSC cruise visiting the Honduran island of Roatan on Tuesday failed to slow to a stop while approaching the dock. A video posted by maritime news website gCaptain captures the 65,000-ton vessel swiftly approaching the Port Coxen Hole dock and hitting the pier right before stopping aground on the beach shore.
MSC Armonia, which is in the middle of a weeks-long cruise to the Caribbean, accommodates up to 2,679 passengers and 700 crew members and has an average speed of 20 mph and maximum speed of 23.1 mph. As it approached the dock, the ship was coming in the at 13.3 mph but slowed to 10 mph as it came closer to shore, gCaptain reports. The ship was coming in from Cozumel, Mexico.
MSC Cruises is still investigating what caused the collision with the dock. “While manoeuvring alongside, for reasons that are currently still being duly investigated, the ship deviated from her course and grazed the end of the pier,” the cruise line told NPR.
Fortunately, there are no reported injuries or fatalities, according to MSC. The company says the ship had minor damage and continued its journey through the Caribbean after being repaired and cleared by Honduran Port State Control authorities.
Featured photo by Horacio Villalobos/Corbis via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.