Video: A Massive Cruise Ship Hits a Dock in Honduras
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An MSC cruise visiting the Honduran island of Roatan on Tuesday failed to slow to a stop while approaching the dock. A video posted by maritime news website gCaptain captures the 65,000-ton vessel swiftly approaching the Port Coxen Hole dock and hitting the pier right before stopping aground on the beach shore.
MSC Armonia, which is in the middle of a weeks-long cruise to the Caribbean, accommodates up to 2,679 passengers and 700 crew members and has an average speed of 20 mph and maximum speed of 23.1 mph. As it approached the dock, the ship was coming in the at 13.3 mph but slowed to 10 mph as it came closer to shore, gCaptain reports. The ship was coming in from Cozumel, Mexico.
MSC Cruises is still investigating what caused the collision with the dock. “While manoeuvring alongside, for reasons that are currently still being duly investigated, the ship deviated from her course and grazed the end of the pier,” the cruise line told NPR.
Fortunately, there are no reported injuries or fatalities, according to MSC. The company says the ship had minor damage and continued its journey through the Caribbean after being repaired and cleared by Honduran Port State Control authorities.
Featured photo by Horacio Villalobos/Corbis via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees