US Travelers Will No Longer Need a Visa to Enter Brazil
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling to Brazil just became much easier, as the country has officially dropped visa requirements for US citizens entering the country.
The move, effective June 17, came ahead of Brazilian President’s Jair Bolsonaro’s first visit to the United States. Waiving visa requirements is a gesture of good faith, as Bolsonaro has voiced his intentions to forge a closer relationship with the US.
Brazil’s government has also waived visa requirements for citizens of Canada, Australia and Japan. The country suspended visa requirements for trips up to 90 days during the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, but it was only a temporary move.
Since early 2018, American citizens have been able to apply for an e-visa that cost $40 plus a $4 service fee. Turnaround times, in general, decreased significantly with the e-visa (I was able to get mine approved in about 24 hours), and the price plummeted. Before that, Americans had to pay $160 dollars and face a more arduous process for visa approval if they wanted to visit Brazil.
It’s still not entirely clear what this move means for US travelers, but it’s possible US travelers will only need their passport and a plane ticket if they want to enter Brazil.
“If it’s a complete visa waiver, meaning no visa (or preregistration) is required that means traveling to Brazil will shortly be as easy as traveling to Canada or Mexico. Just show up with a valid passport,” Steve Gempeler, co-owner of Allied Passport & Visa, told TPG.
We reached out to the Brazilian consulate in New York City for additional details, but did not receive a response in time for publication.
Reuters reported that the US government is not currently planning on reciprocating the visa waiver for Brazilians traveling to the US.
Brazil is a great place for a mileage run and the massive country has plenty of places to explore outside of the big cities of Rio de Janeiro and São Paolo. A few airlines, such as GOL and Azul, offer an Airpass that can significantly reduce the cost of getting around Brazil and neighboring countries.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees