Virgin Voyages replaces cruise calls on Key West following community outcry
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New cruise line Virgin Voyages has removed Key West port calls from its itineraries, citing its desire to respect locals’ decision to ban ships carrying more than 1,300 passengers.
In late 2020, island residents voted to prevent large vessels from docking and to prioritize docking privileges for cruise lines with the best environmental and health records.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s cruise newsletter.
In summer 2021, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill that overturned Key West’s right to limit the size of ships that are allowed to call. Despite the bill, Virgin swapped Key West calls with visits to Nassau in the Bahamas, at least temporarily. The changes will be in effect on Scarlet Lady‘s four-night “Fire and Sunset Soiree” sailings in October.
“Part of our brand ethos is … respecting the communities we visit and making a positive impact,” the line said last week in a statement to travel agents. “We are actively working on a plan that suits the local Key West community, as well as our [passengers], and are hopeful that we’ll [return to] Key West soon.”
In Nassau, Virgin plans to offer activities such as snorkeling and diving, forest treks, fish fries and distillery tours, but it’s not the only Bahamian port the line plans to explore. It recently developed a private beach club area for its passengers on the island of Bimini, offering water sports, Bahamian-inspired cuisine and nighttime bonfires.
The line, which makes no apologies for trying to separate itself from other players in the cruise industry, refers to its passengers as “sailors,” eschews buffets, won’t allow children on board and features several at-sea firsts, including an onboard tattoo parlor and a “shake for Champagne” feature that allows you to order bubbly from anywhere on the ship by simply shaking your phone.
On Aug. 18, the Key West Committee for Safer, Cleaner Ships tweeted a thank-you note to Virgin:
“Huge respect to [Virgin Voyages] today for doing the right thing and pulling out of Key West,” the committee said on Twitter. “A lot of cruise lines say they respect the communities they visit. Virgin is the first to back it up with concrete action.”
At least two other cruise lines — Carnival Cruise Line and Holland America Line, both owned by Carnival Corp. — are scheduled to call on Key West later this year. Carnival declined to comment for this article, but Holland America said it plans to keep Key West on its ships’ schedules for now.
Featured photo courtesy of Virgin Voyages.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees