Virgin Galactic Unveils New Lounge, Mission Control for Space Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Galactic is one step closer to offering commercial space flights to its customers. On Thursday, the British spaceflight company unveiled the interior of two of three levels at its Gateway to Space building at its spaceport in Las Cruces, New Mexico. The Gateway to Space building will consist of a pre-departure lounge, mission control and pre-flight lounge exclusively for astronauts.
Level One: Gaia
The first level is home to a pre-departure lounge named Gaia and will host the astronauts, their family and friends, and members of the Virgin Galactic team. According to Virgin, Gaia serves as the point of departure and arrival. The design of the space is meant to “promote social interaction and human discourse — a sense of togetherness and unity.”
Gaia features natural materials and color palettes meant to bring the landscape of the Chihuahuan Desert inside the Gateway to Space building.
The departure lounge will eventually feature amenities for future astronauts. When space flights commence, astronauts and crew members will be able to share breakfast and a cup of coffee in the lounge. Gaia will also serve as a place for pilots, engineers, and future astronauts to converse throughout the day.
Level Two: Cirrus
The second level is named Cirrus and is home to Spaceport America’s mission control. According to Virgin, Cirrus was designed to reflect “the skies beyond and providing a clean environment supporting operational focus.”
The color scheme between the first floor (Gaia) and the second floor (Cirrus) gradually graduates from earth tones to whiter and gray colors.
Cirrus will host Mission Control’s Mission Briefing Room, the Pilot Corps and the rest of the Flight Operations team. According to Virgin Galactic, Cirrus provides “an unrestricted view of ground operation areas including the apron and runway.”
In a press release, Virgin Galactic said the following of its recently unveiled Gateway to Space building:
“The unveiling of Gaia and Cirrus brings to life a beautiful, world-first and world-class facility and means that Spaceport America’s Gateway to Space is now functionally operational — ready to host the remaining portion of Virgin Galactic’s test flight program before welcoming its very first Future Astronauts.”
Virgin Galactic is the suborbital spaceflight wing of the Virgin Group. Virgin Galactic also noted in the press release that the company is “in the final stages of development, having already completed two crewed flights” with plans to commence commercial space flights in 2020. The 90-minute space flights reportedly cost around $250,000 and offer views of the Earth from space as well as moments of zero-gravity.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image courtesy of Virgin Galactic
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees