Virgin Galactic is getting closer to taking passengers into space
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Do you have $250,000 and a penchant for adventure?
You could become a space explorer in the near future — or possibly this year if your name is Richard Branson.
Virgin Galactic, the Branson-backed private space venture, says it is getting ever-closer to the first commercial passenger space flights.
The company has planned for space flights since as early as 2010, but the first flight has been delayed repeatedly over the last decade. Virgin Galactic is taking refundable $1,000 deposits from the public, though, if you want to get on the list for a future trip into orbit.
For now, though, it appears the company’s founder is set to be the first passenger — possibly sometime this year.
At a Wings Club luncheon in New York on Thursday, Virgin Galactic CEO George Whitesides said that the company is “all in” on getting Branson to low-Earth orbit this year, and that the future of commercial space flight looks bright.
“For the vast majority of our customers, it will create the first realistic opportunity to experience space travel firsthand,” he said.
Whitesides expanded on Virgin Galactic’s mission in his speech. In addition to providing an opportunity for average humans to see Earth from space, he said the company will provide an opportunity for research scientists to benefit more easily from low-gravity experiments. And, he added, the flights might come to represent the future of point-to-point travel between destinations on Earth.
Earlier this week, the company backed off recent guidance that space flights could launch as early as June. But when paying customers do finally get into space, Whitesides said, all six passengers on every flight will have two windows each.
Aside from an earlier raffle that allowed Virgin Atlantic Flying Club members to use 2 million miles toward a chance to win a Virgin Galactic flight, Whitesides said the company has no plans for regular points redemptions yet.
“We’re more focused on the technical aspects right now,” he told TPG at the Thursday luncheon.
Branson said on an investor call earlier this week that the company is still conducting final tests and seeking some regulatory approvals, The Wall Street Journal reported.
The company went public last year, and while its financial position has been relatively strong, its stocks have taken a hit in recent days.
Featured photo courtesy of Virgin Galactic.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees