This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hearing the beverage cart roll through the aisle of a plane is typically enough to make the average passenger lift their sleep mask or pause their movie. It’s the best time of the flight — the time for free drinks and snacks. Now, Virgin Atlantic has reshaped its cart inventory with the introduction of a collection of low- and no-alcohol beverages for the month of January.
The menu of beverages, called No Lo, was created in partnership with Seedlip, the world’s first distilled non-alcoholic spirits, and Regal Rogue, the Australian quaffing vermouth. And all of the current mouth-watering options are available to all classes — that is, economy, premium and first.
The four current beverages (two without alcohol, two with low alcohol) on the menu are the Red Sky at Night, Shepherd’s Delight, The Bold Mule and The Bold Spritz.
The menu’s introduction comes at a time in which there are varying opinions towards alcohol, specifically in the airline industry. We’re in the midst of an era when airlines like Ryanair are trying to limit passengers’ consumption of alcohol following incidents of rowdy customers onboard.
In the words of Mark Murphy, Food and Beverage Manager at Virgin Atlantic, “there’s a big focus across the airline industry on reducing the amount of alcohol consumed in flight, and we’re delighted to be leading the way by offering our customers across all cabins a selection of zero and low alcohol alternatives.”
At the same time, younger generations are backing away from alcohol and have expressed that beverage options beyond soda, juice, coffee and alcohol would make for a more inclusive experience.
Featured image by Fever Tree.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees