This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The new agreement is adding another route to its network, offering a new daily connection between London (LHR) and Sydney (SYD) via Hong Kong (HKG).
Flights are available to purchase now, although the new service doesn’t begin until July 2. The two airlines launched a similar relationship earlier this year with a connection in Hong Kong when traveling from London to Melbourne (MEL). The flight from Sydney to Hong Kong will be operated by a Virgin Australia A330, and the Hong Kong-London leg will be on a Virgin Atlantic 787.
The expanded partnership will allow travelers to connect more seamlessly when flying between the UK and Australia, and all on Virgin branded aircraft if they so desire. Travelers will only have to check a bag once, and tickets will be on the same itinerary.
The expanded partnership opens up a new option for the “Kangaroo Route” that connected the UK and Australia in the past. This move could be a reaction to Qantas’ new nonstop service between Perth (PER) and London (LHR).
It’s possible to connect through Los Angeles, too, flying a Virgin Australia 777 to California and then connecting onto a Virgin Atlantic Boeing 787 flight to London. The codeshare already allows customers traveling though LA on Virgin Atlantic to fly directly onto Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
Featured image by ERIC SALARD / Flickr.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees