This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The new agreement is adding another route to its network, offering a new daily connection between London (LHR) and Sydney (SYD) via Hong Kong (HKG).
Flights are available to purchase now, although the new service doesn’t begin until July 2. The two airlines launched a similar relationship earlier this year with a connection in Hong Kong when traveling from London to Melbourne (MEL). The flight from Sydney to Hong Kong will be operated by a Virgin Australia A330, and the Hong Kong-London leg will be on a Virgin Atlantic 787.
The expanded partnership will allow travelers to connect more seamlessly when flying between the UK and Australia, and all on Virgin branded aircraft if they so desire. Travelers will only have to check a bag once, and tickets will be on the same itinerary.
The expanded partnership opens up a new option for the “Kangaroo Route” that connected the UK and Australia in the past. This move could be a reaction to Qantas’ new nonstop service between Perth (PER) and London (LHR).
It’s possible to connect through Los Angeles, too, flying a Virgin Australia 777 to California and then connecting onto a Virgin Atlantic Boeing 787 flight to London. The codeshare already allows customers traveling though LA on Virgin Atlantic to fly directly onto Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
Featured image by ERIC SALARD / Flickr.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards