This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The new agreement is adding another route to its network, offering a new daily connection between London (LHR) and Sydney (SYD) via Hong Kong (HKG).
Flights are available to purchase now, although the new service doesn’t begin until July 2. The two airlines launched a similar relationship earlier this year with a connection in Hong Kong when traveling from London to Melbourne (MEL). The flight from Sydney to Hong Kong will be operated by a Virgin Australia A330, and the Hong Kong-London leg will be on a Virgin Atlantic 787.
The expanded partnership will allow travelers to connect more seamlessly when flying between the UK and Australia, and all on Virgin branded aircraft if they so desire. Travelers will only have to check a bag once, and tickets will be on the same itinerary.
The expanded partnership opens up a new option for the “Kangaroo Route” that connected the UK and Australia in the past. This move could be a reaction to Qantas’ new nonstop service between Perth (PER) and London (LHR).
It’s possible to connect through Los Angeles, too, flying a Virgin Australia 777 to California and then connecting onto a Virgin Atlantic Boeing 787 flight to London. The codeshare already allows customers traveling though LA on Virgin Atlantic to fly directly onto Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
Featured image by ERIC SALARD / Flickr.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees