Via introduces flat-rate shared rides from LGA for as low as $15
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers can now get from LaGuardia to Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens for as little as $15 round-trip in a shared vehicle, thanks to Via.
The rideshare service is partnering up with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to launch “LGA Connect,” which will provide travelers a ride from the airport to their destination in one of the five boroughs for a flat rate. The program is part of the ongoing effort to alleviate airport congestion by offering convenient and affordable shared rides. Those traveling from LaGuardia to Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens will be able to get a Via for a flat rate of $15 and those traveling to Staten Island or the Bronx will be able to get a Via for $20.
Via’s algorithm will match riders headed in the same direction to a single vehicle. Once confirmed, riders will receive confirmation and driver information like they regularly would. Via says that, “Rides depart within 10 minutes, and passengers will be dropped off at a nearby corner within walking distance of their destination.”
This is good news for those traveling from LaGuardia as surge pricing can really spike during peak hours. In fact, LaGuardia was one of the most expensive airports in the U.S. to travel in and out of in the latest TPG survey, partially because of the cost of ride-hailing. It also doesn’t offer great public-transport options.
Just recently, I was at LaGuardia and decided to check out the new feature for myself, which is when I found out pick-up is only available in terminal C and D.
For those who are unfamiliar with Via, it’s a service similar to Uber and Lyft. However Via calls itself an “on-demand transit system” focused on shared rides, cheaper than individual trips on Uber or Lyft.
Featured photo courtesy of Via
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.